DeSantis Puts the Offensive in ‘Charm Offensive’

Ron DeSantis smiles… or is about to bite?

And speaking of unlikeable politicians, Floriduh Gov. Ron Sanctimonious is trying to do a little PR on his cold, remote, and unlikeable reputation:

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — When a couple hundred major donors to Gov. Ron DeSantis’s inauguration arrived at a candlelight dinner to the sounds of a solo saxophonist the night before his swearing-in last week they found a pair of surprises waiting for them…

…Yet what was even more of a thrill to the donors than Carbone’s signature spicy rigatoni was what happened during the dinner: DeSantis and his wife, Casey, went table to table greeting and thanking the attendees.

I can more easily see him berating the attendees (pointing to a half-eaten plate) than making small grateful noises. It’s just not in his bag of tricks.

Isn’t such glad-handing a job requirement?

Such a gesture would hardly be noteworthy for most politicians. But the early rap on DeSantis from his fellow Republicans is that, for all his smarts and shrewdness, he lacks charm, and is either unwilling or unable to submit to the longstanding rituals of retail politics.

So the mere fact that he table-hopped at a dinner in his honor — and that more than a few of his contributors were thrilled enough about the personal touch to recount it to me after the closed-press fete — is revealing.

Look at DeSantis’ smile, above, and tell me if that looks, uh, natural?  When you see a head-on picture of a snake, it appears to be smiling, too.

This entry was posted in 2024 Goat Rodeo, Ron DeSantis. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to DeSantis Puts the Offensive in ‘Charm Offensive’

1. Jimmy T says:

I really liked what the Orlando Weekly had to say. The opening line “Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis gets clowned for white boots photo op after Hurricane Ian.” Some staff person has a refined sense of humor…

2. gruaud says:

I’ve seen Komodo Dragons smile like that.

3. McDee says:

Would you buy a used car from this man?

4. I think your comparison to a snake is grossly unfair…to snakes.

5. w3ski4me says:

He is bad enough, but have you seen the picture of his wife trying hard to be Jackie O? The cape or whatever was really over the top.
    They are both a couple of nuts missing their shell.
    God help the USA to avoid that nightmare.
    w3ski

6. Kent Fossgreen says:

That’s why Ron’s think tank consultants make the big conservobucks.

7. artahzen says:

I am convinced, absent any evidence, that DeSatan is a child abuser. I have seen that smile before. I am tarring him with a brush with no bristles, but he just creeps me out every time I see him.

• ali redford says:

Yep, thank you. Also I agree with BDR in regard to snakes (though I give most wide berth.)

• Snakes, after all, are vital members of the ecosystem, they eat rats and mice and other destructive rodents like packrats, and generally avoid humans, because we’re like elephant-sized in comparison.

Even rattlesnakes; they’re rattling because they’re like “OH HAI! PLEEZE DONT STOMP ON ME GIANT HOOMIN!!!”, and then only if they don’t have an escape route handy.

Even then most bites from adult rattlers are ‘dry’…they’re biting to chase us away, they don’t waste venom on things too big for them to eat.

Baby rattlers are FAR more dangerous in that regard, because they can’t control their venom use, and one of them bites you, you get the whole load.

a desantis is far far more venomous and has no compunction about using it.

(we have caged ones down the hall from me here, at the AZ Poison Center; there is a venom milking facility over in the hospital with a bunch of different native species and they rotate some into the display cages. Always interesting to see what is there at any point in time. )

8. pagan in repose says:

“Our Failed Political Press ™ often asks us if a politician is someone you’d want to have a beer with, and I think with DeSantis, I’d have a snake-bite kit and 911 on speed dial.” I’d rather just have a poisonous snake bite me, so I wouldn’t have spend any time with that thing that is DeSantis.

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s