He Seems Nice

The cow contemplates her existence

And now, the apology:

“The way I phrased my statement about women and reproductive rights yesterday completely missed the mark,” Nelson said, per the Statesman. “I am deeply sorry. I recognize the mistake and commit to doing better in the future.”

UPDATE 1: In the comments we learn from Scissorhead Bruce the Desert Rat the full quote:

“The women in my life have taught me strength, resilience, integrity, hard work, joy, and love. I absolutely respect women, and the right to choose their own healthcare,” Nelsen said. “The way I phrased my statement about women and reproductive rights yesterday completely missed the mark. I’m embarrassed, and I offended others in the process. I am deeply sorry. I recognize the mistake and commit to doing better in the future.”

He added, “I have always operated and will continue to operate under the standard that the government does not belong in the doctor’s office.”

And as BDR said, it was probably a clunky joke rather than full-on misogyny.

This entry was posted in sexism, Shallow graves for shallow people, War on Women. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to He Seems Nice

1. Jimmy T says:

I saw that yesterday, so did Cindy T. The first words out of her mouth were, “What an asshole.” Seemed to fit the occasion…

2. Well it’s a damned sight better than the usual snide “If any one was offended..” nopology.

Ironically he is actually pro choice, full apology below:

I’m gonna err on the side of “astonishingly clumsy joke/analogy by a conservative good ol’ boy” rather than deliberate misogyny.

• The entire apology really changes things, doesn’t it (no question mark added).

• ali redford says:

Agreed as to both. Now it’s easier to see he meant that he’s seen things, and knows that decisions should be made by appropriate professionals at the time each decision needs to be made. I hope he does his job with what he’s said in mind.

That’s much better that the context-free version from the insider. I think I need to retract my reaction.

• Jimmy T says:

Not so sure you need a retraction. The guy was completely unaware of how offensive his words actually were. It’s good to know he’s not a complete nut-job, but damn he’s so lacking in awareness…

3. Oneofthebobs says:

I can hardly wait to hear about his experience with sheep.

4. Richard says:

He should be embarassed. He should be sorry. He sounds like a slow learner. He sounds like a Mormon. No offense, but i have been living in Deseret for 40+ years. It is a good place and the people are good. But they value conformity over intelligence and education. I am going to give this small town fool a pass, one time only.

5. Richard says:

Is no one going to talk about the Mormons? Is it an uncomfortable subject? And what about Mitt Romney and his renegade daughter, Ronna, the ambitious wannabe power-broker? Phucomol. Us Lamanites are concerned.

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s