Zelensky Shows Us How It Is Done

As regular readers know, MockPaperScissors shies away from international news, and not just because our usual typos and pre-coffee thinking could induce international incidents, but also because we don’t pretend to understand all the dynamics over there. But we do understand the dynamics of what happens here. And so Does President Zelensky.

President Zelensky’s address to Congress was a brilliant bit of perfectly timed politics, a masterclass on how to control the narrative (see the video above).

Besides all the photo ops (and Lordy, as a former entertainer, the man knows his stuff – Zelensky even wore his combat fatigues —optics*), his address to Congress was delivered in English and was full of references to the American Revolution. Zelensky made several references to the need for bipartisan and bicameral support, so he studied how stuff gets done here.

Anyway all of that means it’s going to be harder for MAGA/America First caucus to oppose aid to Ukraine after his performance. Or, maybe more accurately, Zelensky made it easier for Republicans to support Ukraine.

* Tucker Carlson lost it over the optics because he couldn’t address the actual message:

“As far as we know, no one’s ever addressed the United States Congress in a sweatshirt before, but they love him much more than they love you.

“The president of Ukraine arrived at the White House dressed like the manager of a strip club and started to demand money.

“Amazingly, no one threw him out. Instead, they did whatever he wanted. American taxpayers, Joe Biden declared, will continue to give Zelensky whatever he demands for ‘as long as it takes.’”

This entry was posted in Pooty-Poot Putin, Tucker Carlson, Ukraine War. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Zelensky Shows Us How It Is Done

1. Martin Pollard says:

And Sedition Caucus members Rapey McForehead and Looney Bobo were seen playing with their phones the whole time instead of, you know, doing their jobs, which is totally on-brand for them.

We are so effed in the dark for at least the next two years.

• I am honestly expecting continued Disorder in the House because K-Mac is infinitely bad at his job and the GQP caucus is a pack of rabid squabbling weasels all at each other’s throats, and hopefully this will limit the damage they could do.

2. gruaud says:

I wish Tucker Carlson would run for president. I would pop so much popcorn, Orville Redenbacher would rise from the dead to thank me.

3. Jimmy T says:

I watched President Zelensky’s speech on You Tube. Definitely worth the time…

• MDavis says:

Thank you. I’ve only caught a few minutes of this before now.

• MDavis says:

I finally listened to the rest of this speech. Zelenskyy reportedly has a law degree as well as a career in comedy, including the organization side of that. Both of those things take smarts.
      And, though I had a bit of trouble with his accent, I think I caught him making a pun. In English, not his first or second language.
      And he seems to love Nancy Pelosi, which is also a sign of smarts, IMO.

4. Jimmy T says:

Also this…

5. annieasksyou says:

I like your assessment of Zelensky’s speech a lot, TG. And as an optimist (who worries a lot), I hope it will make things easier for the Republicans. But McCarthy, Gaetz, and the other Putinescas immediately said “We won’t give him a blank check.” Each of them is in sore need of soul implants.

6. Mike B. says:

I don’t understand the war in Ukraine and I don’t understand the current GOP. But traditionally, the GOP and Democrats, in my opinion, on foreign policy are much of a muchness. Maintaining and increasing US dominance is the goal. We don’t need $800 billion a year to defend the US, but both parties supported spending this on “defense,” when it could be used to actually help people.

7. Oh, and Fucker Failson’s “He didn’t wear a suit!” isn’t the own Fucker thinks it is…better looking like a bouncer at a strip club than a rando off the street pressed into waiter duties with a second-hand tux that didn’t fit:

8. MDavis says:

(see the video above)

Sorry… what video?

9. MDavis says:

I am somewhat sad that Al Franken wasn’t there at Zelenskyy’s speech.