Bad Signs, Cont.

H/T @NamelessCynic

The bastards.

This entry was posted in Bad Signs. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Bad Signs, Cont.

1. Jimmy T says:

It’s been more than a few years, the daughter unit left for Scotland to study how to make Whisky. She left her Shiba Enui with us to take care of while she was gone. Damn if that little rascal didn’t discover a yellowjacket nest in the back yard. Ran straight to the back door covered in yellowjackets. I had to go out back and kill as many that were on him as I could, and I got stung a few times too. The next day I took the shop vac out and vacuumed the nest completely wearing a lot of protection, gloves, and face mask. I got rid of them all without further incident, but the Shiba wouldn’t go out back for the longest time…

2. retiredeng says:

I grow raspberries and I work on them in partial to full bloom with bees everywhere including right in my face. They have their job and I have mine. Mutual respect wins the day. I have never been threatened by bees.

On the other hand, depending on the time of year, Yellow Jackets are a real menace.

• Bees out collecting at flowers are very non-aggressive. The ones you need to look out for are the guards at the hive. Bees are really programmed for their roles: nurse bees feeding the young and the Queen, guard bees, defending the hive, then foragers out getting nectar and pollen.

You really have to screw with foragers to get them to sting you.

Yellowjackets are vicious assholes who will sooner sting you than look at you…

Source: four years working as an undergrad for a USDA honeybee research center. Kept a bunch of hives, collected a bunch of honey, got stung a bunch of times 🙂

• purplehead says:

The menaces in my raspberry patch aren’t the lovely bees and other pollinators on the flowers. We work alongside each other. The assholes are the earwigs. I got one in my ear a few years ago, while picking berries, and that was one of the worst things to go through. Every time that bug moved it felt like it was in the middle of my brain. Luckily, I live a block and half from the big local clinic. I didn’t know what bug it was until the PA removed it, with its legs and pinchers still flailing. EEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKK! He asked me if I wanted it! “Fuck no,” I blurted. “Why would I want that!” He said it was mine, so he had to offer to me. (My blood pressure has never been as high as that day.)

Ever since that episode, I wear ear plugs when I’m in the raspberries or any dense part of the garden.

• RevZafod says:

I planted raspberries two years ago in North Texas and got a few spring/fall crops, but this summer’s heat almost killed them. El Bummerino.

• retiredeng says:

The bad drought here in New England did a job on my raspberries. The problem is that I have no rabbit fence around them. Whatever we watered was decimated by rabbits unless fenced. I will fix the next spring.

The variety of raspberry I grow has an old growth crop in spring and the canes die. Meanwhile the new canes emerge for the fall crop. Rabbits will eat them in the cradle and few make it to a height above a foot. My fall crop is severely lessened by this.

3. Oneofthebobs says:

BeeBobALula.

4. Redhand says:

They mentioned you specifically.

This reminds me of a record club invitation that appeared in my mailbox at my college dorm back in 1970. Every mailbox in the dorm got one. Somehow the record club got the dorm mailing list, and each one began with a sentence that declared, “Dear [the mailbox holder’s real name], you’re very special to us.”

This really enraged me. How dare they insult me by “personalizing” a mass mailing to everyone, distinguished only by the fact that they somehow found the box holders’ names. I also realized for the first time that there might be privacy problems in the computer age. I wondered if any money changed hands allowing the marketing company to identify us by name.

Interestingly, a few weeks later, our mailboxes were again filled with nearly identical invitations, but this time with a difference. Each one was addressed to “Anonymous,” and the mailing inside said, “Dear Anonymous, you’re very special to us.”

5. skinnydennis says:

My bee story.
    Drove my lawn tractor over a ground dwelling bee nest (they take over gopher holes). They immediately found the nearest bare skin – ankles. 7 or 8 stings, huffed it back to the house and nearly called the Dr but toughed it out.
    I did see my Dr shortly after for annual checkup, he cautioned me that if that happened again I could have a bad reaction, and to get an Epi-pen (back when they were cheap).
    Epi-pen… thought about Travolta plunging that drug antidote into Uma… not sure I could handle that.
    Sure enough, a few months later it happened again. Calmly walked to the house, sat down on the kitchen floor and told my wife to stab me with the pen IF I appeared to be in distress. Went to my happy place, breathed normally and happy-placed myself thru it.
    BTW a neighbor was disking his yard with his tractor and turned over a ground dwelling bee nest. He nearly died. Sold the tractor. Moved back to town.

6. Mrs BDR says they miss-spelled the sign.

It’s supposed to be “BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!” 🙂