When One Window Closes, Another Opens And A Russian Falls Out

“Trust me, comrades, why would I lie?”

Weird coinkydink how Putin’s critics keep falling out windows:

WASHINGTON — A prominent Russian oil executive died on Thursday after reportedly falling out of a hospital window in Moscow, stoking suspicions of foul play, given how many vocal critics of the Kremlin have frequently been shot, poisoned or thrown out of windows.

Ravil Maganov, 67, was chairman of the board at Lukoil, the Russian energy giant. His death, which took place on Thursday morning, was reported by state-controlled news agency Interfax and confirmed by Western outlets.

In March, Lukoil criticized the unprovoked invasion of Ukraine launched at President Vladimir Putin’s insistence in late February. “We fully support its resolution through negotiations, by diplomatic means,” that statement said. It was a remarkable show of dissent in a nation where, even in peacetime, corporations and their leaders are expected to never contradict the Kremlin.

I guess he refused to drink the tea?

This entry was posted in Pooty-Poot Putin. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to When One Window Closes, Another Opens And A Russian Falls Out

1. Ellis Weiner says:

The hed of this post elicited in me outright prolonged laughter.

Thanks Mr. Weiner –

I was pleased with it myself. I don’t laugh at my own jokes, but I did have a good snort on this one.

2. “An oil CEO is murdered by an authoritarian government.”

This is the title of a chapter in my book on mixed emotions.

Chapter 3: Donald Trump’s adorable new puppy causes severe allergic reaction

3. Jimmy T says:

Funny how a guy can fall out of a window in a windowless building…

4. my favorite comment on this, as seen on the intertubes:

“Maybe Anderson Windows should look at franchising into Russia to replace all these obviously unsafe windows. They’d make a killing

5. w3ski4me says:

Wow, the Russian people sure are clumsy around open windows. It’s a National tragedy. It’s almost as bad as America’s gun deaths. You’d think they’d start a safety program or something.
    w3ski

6. purplehead says:

Russia needs to require more child restraints for window treatments.

Oh.

7. osirisopto says:

TFG need not fear admiring the view.

8. Redhand says:

Weird coinkydink how Putin’s critics keep falling out windows

It’s a feature, not a bug. It’s Puty’s way of saying, “I can kill you with impunity and even advertise it.”

9. Mike B. says:

I just read the Yahoo article and right now the end of the first paragraph is “defenestrated,” while your version is “thrown out of windows,” which of course means the same thing. Should we be insulted that you don’t think we know what defenestrate means, or did Yahoo change the wording?

• H-Bob says:

Prague needs to sue Putin for infringement! They’re the ones who started defenestrations!

• Mike B. says:

The Prague city motto should be “Don’t mess with us or we’ll throw you out a window.” (Actually, defenestrations have been done all over and didn’t start in Prague, but they got the rep.)

Yahoo changed it Mike, I’d like to garrote that editor.

• Mike B. says:

Good (that you didn’t change it). I didn’t think you would, but I don’t see why Yahoo would either. However, now that I look at it, they made another change. The version you quote says “given how many vocal critics … have frequently been shot…,” whereas the new one says “given how frequently vocal critics … have been shot…,” which is better, because you don’t need “many” and “frequently.” But that doesn’t have anything to do with the defenestration change.