Amply be-chinned Mitch McConnell is up to something. Per Tiger Beat on the Potomac (thanks Charlie) email thingie:
MCCONNELL TEMPERS 2022 EXPECTATIONS — Senate Minority Leader MITCH MCCONNELL weighed in on the GOP candidate-quality question on the same day that the Senate Leadership Fund poured $28 million into J.D. VANCE’s cash-dry campaign, NBC’s Sahil Kapur and Frank Thorp V write.
Here’s what McConnell said: “I think there’s probably a greater likelihood the House flips than the Senate. Senate races are just different — they’re statewide, candidate quality has a lot to do with the outcome. … Right now, we have a 50-50 Senate and a 50-50 country, but I think when all is said and done this fall, we’re likely to have an extremely close Senate, either our side up slightly or their side up slightly.”
It’s not a lie, but it is a statement no one expected to hear from him. I can read that as McConnell is poking Hair Füror that his hand-selected candidates are LOSERS (TRUE!), or that he’s telling the big donors to open their wallets to give him the Senate. Or maybe both?
Some news this week show us that #MoscowMitch has a point and that the Democrats could actually gain some seats in the Senate (and definestrate ol’ Mitch like a common Brian Stelter):
- The RNSCC killed ad buys in three states – showing Arizona, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin as lost causes
- Polling in Georgia and Arizona shows incumbent Sens. Raphael Warnock and Mark Kelly holding their seats
- Two polls just this week show Mandela Barnes leading RoJo in Wisconsin (that’s a pick-up)
- A poll in Florida found Val Demings leading li’l Marco by four points (that’s a pick-up)
- John Fetterman is destroying Dr. Oz in PA (that’s a pick-up)
Remember, if we can pick up two seats, Manchinema is neutered.
Now I’m not saying that any of this is going to happen, just that it could. A week is a lifetime in politics and your mileage may vary. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.