‘Oops,’ Said The Secret Service

Trump vs. Trump?

And now we have a criminal investigation of the deleted Secret Service’s text messages to determine whether the Secret Service violated federal records-keeping laws. (Clue: yes.)

This leaves a YUGE gap in the record of the 187 minute Coup.

The Department of Homeland Security’s inspector general reportedly knew in February that the Secret Service had deleted all text messages from January 5 and 6, knowing they would be subpoenaed, but said nothing. The Secret Service was told on January 16, 2021, not to delete anything, and then 11 days later deleted everything.

And if that doesn’t show corruption in the Intelligence Apparatus, I don’t know what does.

[Side note: I learned recently that the SS is the agency with the ultimate cyber security investigative abilities at their crime labs; this is the facility that all the other intelligence agencies use. So the guys who can resurrect just about anything on the web deleted their message and will probably not, you know, “be able to reconstitute them.” This is a scandal and pretty clearly a cover-up.]

Everything Trump touches becomes tainted. Everything.

This entry was posted in snark. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to ‘Oops,’ Said The Secret Service

1. w3ski4me says:

I am vengeful about this kind of stuff, and I understand I am one of the few in my beliefs, but I so see a need for some mass firings over this crap. This is willful disobedience of long-standing policy, and I see no need for excuses.
    w3ski

• beckymaenot says:

^^^THIS. Accountability is essential.

Totally agree w3ski4me.

• MDavis says:

This should be the opinion of an overwhelming and vocal majority.
      That you think not is probably partly due to intimidation tactics.

• osirisopto says:

EVERYone who touched these texts needs to have their security clearance voided, and be terminated on the spot.

• ali redford says:

Agreed. To me, it seems best to simply purge the organization, at this point. How are we supposed to be assured they’re doing their jobs, really? I hate the idea of a non-corrupt one losing their job, but it’s hard for me to see that there are non-corrupt ones when no one spoke up over that entire presidential administration.

• MDavis says:

If they followed the chain of command their comments would have gotten buried by whoever in charge was corrupt.
        It’s an organization that would believe in information security, so going public without superior rank approval could be very dangerous, or at least extremely discouraged.
        Not that I don’t agree. Anyone fired might be eligible to re apply – if background checks are done properly</> [the way I’d like to see them done] then the miscreants wouldn’t even want to apply. Too much exposure to possible consequences.

2. Jimmy T says:

It’s not only illegal to delete goverment records, but someone (and maybe a lot of someones) will be held accountable…

3. Stony Pillow says:

There’s ample evidence the Secret Service is the Republicans’ Praetorian Guard. If anybody’s awake at the White House, this is a “hair on fire” moment. This has to change. Now.

4. Redhand says:

I have said this at TPM, but I think the SS should lose the function of “protecting the president.” We need another agency to do it because this one doesn’t know the difference between protecting the integrity of the office and the president’s person vs. covering up for a seditionist, traitor, and arch-criminal.

Disband it entirely and start over with as few of the existing people as possible.

This is an astonishing betrayal.

• Redhand says:

Yeah. It is a far greater failure than the old INS approving the 9/11 bombers’ airline pilot student visas.

It’s a colossal proof point that the thing has been subverted from bottom to top. The agents themselves cannot be trusted. It’s amazing and saddening to me.

• w3ski4me says:

I believe a big part of the problem is that many of the SS are tRump supporters. If we could just wean out those, we might have a use for them.
      w3ski

5. Redhand says:

@tengrain They are also drunken, rapey-like a-holes on trips overseas “protecting POTUS.” But that pales in significance to this.

• MDavis says:

Those are both symptoms of the same disease.
      Boils down to
      * oath sworn to protect country and constitution.
      * oath actually followed? Not that one.
      Out of country, should be totally on game, but taken as an opportunity to go wild (SS Gone Wild! – should be a video)
      In country – only protecting the POTUS if they want to.
      Constitution? Country? They can take a hike.
      On W’s watch Fatherland, er, Homeland Security was started. Should have taken care of the agencies already there and infected. Now the infection is worse.

Yes, it seems in every administration someone from the SS Advance team gets sent home for sexcapades with the locals.

6. *FelineMama* says:

This is probably moot, but, I can’t stop thinking about JFK, RFK, MLK. And of course, 9/11.

7. pagan in repose says:

“Everything Trump and/or Conservatives touches becomes tainted. Everything.”

There, a little editing to my version of your statement. In honor of Driftgalss, if I may, for all the work he has done for decades on calling out conservatives. And, they’re long game of slowly setting things up so they can be the single rule party of these United States of America.

Also TG, your great work is appreciated too.