News That Will Drive You To Drink

Happy Hour News

Well, bless their hearts, The Great Stet of Texas —America’s Lab for Bad Policy— is distinguishing themselves again:

Texas on Thursday asked a federal court to block the Biden administration’s requirement that physicians and hospitals provide abortions in medical emergencies.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, in a lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, argued that federal law does not confer a right to an abortion.

[Question: is this the place where I should note that Paxton is facing felony fraud charges and an FBI investigation into accusations of bribery? Why, yes, I believe it is.]

The lawsuit comes three days after Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra warned hospitals and physicians that they are required to provide abortions in medical emergencies where it is necessary treatment to protect the life of a pregnant woman. Becerra said hospitals and physicians who refuse to comply could have their Medicare provider agreements terminated and face financial penalties.

Mexico remains more free than Texas, ladies, so make a run for the border. And that is gonna make Eiron, the Goddess of Irony, laugh.

This entry was posted in Crazeee States, Forced Birth, sexism, Texas, America's Lab for Bad Policy, War on Women. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to News That Will Drive You To Drink

1. schmice3 says:

I’m sure that “some people are saying” that he and Abbott deserve to get painful inoperable malignant tumors in their gonads. Imagine that.

2. Mexico also has an operational power grid.

3. MDavis says:

I know this exposes my ignorance, but I don’t understand why Biden can’t sign an executive order mandating that abortions are legal and a medical issue, not a moral one.
    Even if it isn’t going to be allowed to stand, it would be making a statement.
    I don’t get why he doesn’t do this.

• Redhand says:

Being a lawyer gives me only a slight edge over you. This is not my area. But I think banning abortions where a woman’s life is put at risk by the ban is a violation of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution: no person shall be “deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law.”

• MDavis says:

That’s something.
        But I’m on board with those who maintain that abortion is essentially a medical procedure. Arguments against abortion usually hinge on religious claims. (I am alleging that the claim that “life begins at conception” is religious, and that this argument brings the arguer’s definition of “life” in this case into question. If life is too sacred to stop at any point, even before it is viable outside the womb, then surely the debater will be vegetarian, if not vegan. No figs for them. Why limit the definition to potentially human life?) If limits were to be put in place for when abortion should be denied, that should be based on some factual argument rather than “every sperm is sacred, … [so] I’m afraid it’s medical experimentation for the lot of you.”
        Also, I’ve never been comfortable with the Hyde Amendment. That thing is an abomination in search of torches and pitchforks, an attempt to sabotage seekers of the legal procedure, especially those more likely to need it. I’d spit on Hyde’s grave if I thought he was worth the effort of finding it.
        Did Hyde ever argue against federal funding for military weaponry? I’d bet not. Real money.

• MDavis says:

But I’d totally be on board with starting with the 14th as an argument against denying the most urgent cases.
        There’s a state case on the books, McFall v. Shimp, a PA case in favor of bodily autonomy. A PA man had a problem with his bone marrow and took a brother to court in order to force a marrow donation. Court found against him, as it was held the brother can’t be forced to let his body be used to help another survive. The brother was male, of course, so he would be considered more equal than others now. But still, it’s another starting place.

Evil is as evil does.