Guys, it seems that Possum Hollar Pennsyltucky’s Republican Gubnor candidate has quite the resumé. Vanity Fair’s email thingie alerts us:
If you’re not familiar with Doug Mastriano, a quick primer on the state senator turned gubernatorial candidate:
– On November 5, 2020, he called for the resignation of Kathy Boockvar, the then secretary of the Pennsylvania Commonwealth, claiming that “Pennsylvanians no longer feel secure in casting their vote”;
– Shortly thereafter, he wrote an email to a Department of Justice official, and asked that it be passed on to the then acting attorney general, in which he “raised a litany of false and debunked claims of widespread election fraud in Pennsylvania, which [he] had previously aired at a November 25, 2020 ‘hearing’ at a hotel in Gettysburg featuring Trump campaign lawyers Rudy Giuliani and Jenna Ellis,” as well as Trump himself via phone;
– He used campaign funds to charter busses to the “Stop the Steal” rally that preceded the violent riot;
– Video footage shows that he and his wife “took part in the…insurrection,” having crossed police lines and breaching the barricades set up at the Capitol;
– While campaigning for governor, he told people: “I’m Doug Mastriano, and [if elected] I get to appoint the secretary of state who’s delegated from me the power to make the corrections to elections, the voting logs and everything. I could decertify every machine in the state with the stroke of a pen via the secretary of state”;
– As Trump himself said in his endorsement of the guy: “There is no one in Pennsylvania who has done more, or fought harder, for Election Integrity than State Senator Doug Mastriano. He has revealed the Deceit, Corruption, and outright Theft of the 2020 Presidential Election, and will do something about it”
Aside from all that? Mastriano apparently has no issue with QAnon; wants abortions banned with no exceptions for rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother; and, per HuffPost, “is a key figure in Christian nationalism, the insurgent movement that holds the anti-democratic belief that America is a nation by and for Christians in need of saving from secular, satanic forces so that its laws can reflect a far-right interpretation of scripture.”
Mastriano’s candidacy is terrifying, but it gives us some clarity about the stark differences between Team Evil and the Democratic candidate Josh Shapiro:
- He will steal elections from voters, Shapiro will not.
- He will sign a statewide abortion ban, Shapiro will not.
I cannot stress this enough: if Mastriano wins, the 2024 Goat Rodeo will be thrown in that swing state and that’s enough to pretty much assure that the Nazis will win, and thus goodbye democracy.
This is an all hands on deck emergency. If you have friends/family in that state, you need to work them like common refs at a football game.