Axios morning mail thingie reports that France did not fall to Fascism (and I’m guessing the usual suspects in our Failed Political Press are having a sad):
- Why it matters: Macron is the first French president in 20 years to win a second term. Polls consistently showed him in the lead, but he had warned he could lose amid rising “extremist danger” he could lose.
Washington and Brussels were relieved, even though his victory was tighter than when he faced Le Pen in 2017.
Although Macron won, the real story, according to many outlets, is the growing power of the far right. Some hot takes from the media (not linked because, really, why?):
- Macron wins, but the euro and French stocks slide.
- French election: The maps that show why Emmanuel Macron should be worried ahead of upcoming National Assembly elections
- French election: Historic win but Macron has polarised France
- French President Macron wins re-election; far-right makes gains
Winning by 17 points is a landslide, but whatevs. It’s all Good News For John McCain!