ST*: It’s Past Time To Kill It

There are no big hands when it is Trump Time!

Well, I’m stunned. Our long, national nightmare might be ending:

Senate agrees on permanent daylight saving time

A bipartisan group of senators has tried and failed, for Congress after Congress, to keep America on daylight saving time permanently. Until Tuesday, when their bright idea finally cleared the chamber.

Just two days after the nation’s latest stressful “spring forward” to the later sunsets of daylight saving time, the Senate unanimously and surprisingly passed Sen. Marco Rubio’s (R-Fla.) bill to lock the clocks. The quick and consequential move happened so fast that several senators said afterward they were unaware of what had just happened.

I don’t even think Big Gulp had time to tweet out a Bible verse, turn, turn, turn.

Of course we now have to see how the House takes it, but I’m hopeful Nancy Smash has got this.

• Hat tip Scissorhead M. Bouffant who corrected the headline.
This entry was posted in snark. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to ST*: It’s Past Time To Kill It

1. M. Bouffant says:

Technically, they’re killing Standard Time, as they should.

Good point – I need to fix that. — TG

• Jimmy T says:

There will be no mourners. I know that for myself and the many others I used to see (before Covid) this has been a long time irritant…

• ali redford says:

I would mourn, but after all the years I’ve put up with the time change for me and for all the kiddoes with whom I work, and even DH, I’ve decided that whichever way they leave it, that’ll be fine, as long as we quit changing it. I’ll get over losing 63 hours of my life to DST same as I have every year since 45. I’m even over feeling that people who love DST ought to just get up earlier, and leave the rest of us alone. I’m one of a small number of humans who feels that way, as it stands, and I like to get along with people. Simply not ever changing again will be great.

sigh ☮

I do not care which one they kill off, I just want it done.

2. Technically, they’re killing Standard Time, as they should

Oh fun..this puts summer commute time during the hottest part of the day here in TTSKoA.

3. robginchicago says:

I like the recent change to daylight savings time and hope not to ever have to “fall back” in the fall ever again. My parrot and dogs only know that daylight is the time to raise hell and wake everyone else up. With daylight savings time, it stays dark a little later, and our menagerie stays quiet until about 7am, instead of 6am. I also appreciate the later sunsets.

4. Mike B. says:

I like standard time, and so would prefer they keep us on that all year. But I’m a morning person, and this will make sunrise an hour later in winter when it’s already its latest (it’ll be almost 9am here at the latest if this passes). The argument against year-round DST used to be that in many (probably most) places, it would mean children go to school in the dark in winter. I never thought we needed an extra hour of daylight in the evening in summer, when sunset is already its latest.

5. revzafod says:

As I rarely rise before noon, I approve.

6. E.A. Blair says:

Think of all the little kiddies having to go to school in the dark, through six feed of snow, uphill both ways…barefoot and hungry. What really needs to be done is to eliminate the axial tilt of the Earth so that we will have twelve-hour days all year round. We shouldn’t have any trouble doing that.

7. And Randal Munroe chimes in with another proposal: