🎶 Where The Bugs Are 🎵

(Twitter)

Axios tells us:

Giant spiders expected to drop from sky across the East Coast this spring

An invasive species of spider the size of a child’s hand is expected to “colonize” the entire East Coast this spring by parachuting down from the sky, researchers at the University of Georgia announced last week.

Why it matters: Large Joro spiders — millions of them — are expected to begin “ballooning” up and down the East Coast as early as May. Researchers have determined that the spiders can tolerate cold weather, but are harmless to humans as their fangs are too small to break human skin.

• The Joro spider is native to Japan but began infiltrating the U.S. in 2013, concentrating in the southeast and specifically Georgia, according to NPR. They fanned out across the state using their webs as tiny, terrifying parachutes to travel with the wind.

Threat level: Andy Davis, author of the study and a researcher at Georgia’s Odum School of Ecology, tells Axios that it isn’t certain how far north the spiders will travel, but they may make it as far north as D.C. or even Delaware.

• “It looks like the Joro could probably survive throughout most of the Eastern Seaboard here, which is pretty sobering,” says Davis.
This entry was posted in Cool Things, Palate Cleansers. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to 🎶 Where The Bugs Are 🎵

1. Oneofthebobs says:

Big deal. Here on the west coast, we have Jewish space lasers to contend with.

2. MDavis says:

These things look suspiciously like the Green Recluse! Watch for them behind any doorknob in any Pit of Despair!
    (Anyone else read The Princess Bride?)

3. Pashaw on the hysteria. I’m saving my “fear and loathing” for when they learn how to surf and rollerskate or, god forbid -line dance! These buddies are harmless. Big or small, spiders are cool.

4. E.A. Blair says:

I have an ironclad rule about sharing my living space; I do not willingly share it with any critter with a natural complement of legs that is less than two or more than four.

Corollary: If four legged, they should meow.

Seems like a sensible rule.

Not so sure about the corollary, however.

• E.A. Blair says:

I have osteoarthritis in my knees, and so prefer a pet that doen’t need to be walked. Ihave, though, always preferred cats to dogs. An old friend once said, “When a dog licks you, it’s because it doesn’t have anything better to do; when a cat licks you, you’ve earned something.”

Mr. Blair –

Spoken like a cat person, I salute you!

When a cat licks you, it is answering the question about whether you would taste good or not.

5. pagan in repose says:

Just remember the insect world out numbers us humans by 10 quintillion to our measly 7.7 billion.
    If they get together on getting rid of us we will be in big trouble.
    Also, spellcheck says quintillion should be liquidation.

6. Jimmy T says:

So how do spiders communicate with one another to plan such a nefarious event? well, there is a World Wide Web…

7. ming says:

I did a cross country bike trip about a decade ago with a group of friends. On the day between Las Vegas NM and Tucumcari NM, we road through a tarantula migration. Several thousand spiders on the road over a twenty mile interval. It was the most memorable thing I have ever seen in my lifetime on a bike. That evening at dinner, we asked our friend Mathew from the UK who had ridden ahead of the group because he needed to get in early to call his wife how the day went. He said, “it was fine.”OK.” “Nice ride.” There was a long pause. We asked if he had seen anything unusual? With the most unflappable British accent ever he said “you mean the giant spiders? We said yes. did you stop to look at them? “Certainly not”. I thought I was going to die laughing.

8. Richard Portman says:

Last year, it was murder hornets. This year, it is giant Joro Spiders! I really have to wonder about this.

• pagan in repose says:

I’m telling you the insects are just waiting for the spark that will ignite them into action and then they take over the world.

9. schmice3 says:

In the end, the Earth will be fine. Us, maybe not so much.