Heroes

This video has been making the rounds. I am sincerely awed by this sort of bravery, spitballing in the face of doom.

Flags are at half mast for the Ukrainian heroes of Snake Island.

(Hat tip: Scissorhead MDavis was first)

This entry was posted in Heroes. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Heroes

1. YellowDog says:

“Nuts!”

2. revzafod says:

I’ve heard that McAuliffe’s actual reply was “fuck you”, but they cleaned it up for the newspapers.

• YellowDog says:

I’ve heard that, too, but I have never found a first-hand account. I think “Nuts!” makes for a better story, as it conveys more disdain for the situation and the Nazi’s than “fuck you.” But facing Russian missiles and certain death, “go fuck yourself” is pretty damn good.

3. schmice3 says:

Wait for it. The right will claim that the Ukrainians goaded and provoked the Russians into killing them in order to create a media-worthy incident intended to demonize Putin and, by extension, Trump, FOX (etc), and the republicans.

• Buttermilk Sky says:

Just as the Ukrainians of the early 1930s deliberately starved to death to undermine collectivization and the glorious revolution. Not being sarcastic, that’s exactly what Stalin’s government said. Read “Bloodlands.”

4. Jimmy T says:

Makes me sad that these men had to die in service to their countrymen at the hands of the Russian Empire. The dogs or war don’t care if you or anyone else lives or dies, they kill with abandon, and have nuclear teeth. Reminds me of a quote from Albert Einstein, “The unleashed power of the atom has changed everything except our thinking. Thus, we are drifting toward catastrophe beyond conception. We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive.” Our thinking lags far behind our advances in technology. Yeah, I’m depressed too…

5. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

This makes a great companion piece to the ‘sunflower seeds’ lady- the valor of the Ukrainians is only exceeded by their shit-talking prowess.

6. Jimmy T says:

Just gonna leave this here…

• Richard Portman says:

I remember, because my brave brother was there. He’s not much to look at, but he can talk. We sit around and eat Mexican food and talk about Kurdistan. So please don’t do this.
      I don’t know how much longer you all are going to go with your Trump and your Putin, but we are exhausted and worn to the nubs. If you keep on the way you are, you won’t have any people. Maybe you should just kill us now. That way we could die honestly.

7. Heartbreaking, inchoate rage of frustration-inducing. The world is simply fucking lucky I don’t have access to all the infinity stones because making a crapton of the people on this planet just not exist anymore is a strong urge…

8. MDavis says:

There is a bit of chat caught before throwing the gauntlet. I wonder how this would have played out if all hadn’t agreed – because I just know they all agreed to it.

• Richard Portman says:

It is easy for us to call them heroes. I doubt that island looked so fine in February, all covered in snow ice and mud, with a bunch of young conscripts .

9. Pingback: Putin Invasion, Ukraine Courage, GOP, NATO, Polls, Cyber War, Covid, Protests – FairAndUNbalanced.com