Bad Signs, Cont.

H/T @NamelessCynic on the Twitters

Momma always said that there was a detour.

This entry was posted in Bad Signs. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Bad Signs, Cont.

1. Jimmy T says:

Virginville is in Pennsylvania, and is where my maternal grandparents lived, the state is known for unusual city names. For instance, Virginville is an hour north of blue ball. So you can drive from virginville through blue ball to intercourse. Ya gotta believe there was something in the water back in the city naming days…

• Redhand says:

Ah, the quirky pleasures of rural PA! I had a friend in the Reading, PA area, not far from Virginville. I’ve seen this sign, or ones like it, more than a few times on my way to visit him.

There is something genuinely rustic and strange about Pennsylvania between Philly and Pittsburgh. It’s the home of places like the Centralia mine fire, and Punxsutawney Phil.

Need I say more?

2. skinnydennis says:

I see you can “pitch your tent” there too.

3. Oneofthebobs says:

It’s a deep fake, I tell ya! No point stopping there anyway.

4. MDavis says:

Anybody else ever hear of the Combat Zone?

• Redhand says:

Yes. There’s also “The Block” in Baltimore.

• Redhand says:

“The Block” is a storied vice area in Baltimore, and the “Combat Zone” is the equivalent in Boston, no?

• MDavis says:

Nope, Philadelphia.
        It was an area taken over by armed women in the mid 70’s. Was Billy Joel from Philly? If so, he probably was crazy for riding his bike through the combat zone. Hubby tells me he was there when they needed a part for their aircraft.
        This country has not been kind to women over the decades, I can’t find anything about it on the googles or the Wikipedia. (but neither can I find the story of the Wisconsin (?) hospital over-sedating elderly patients so they would need a tracheotomy to have a breathing tube put in. The differences between Medicare fraud and Medicare abuse are – 1) fraud is charging for a procedure that was never done and abuse is doing a procedure that was not needed and then charging for it. and 2) it is way harder to prosecute for abuse than fraud. Those folks needed those trachs, but they wouldn’t have needed them without that deliberate over-sedating. Some arrogant death-eater was talking about getting ready to over-sedate some of his patients for the cash on the elevator right in front of some muggles who turned them in to Medicare or the complaints from the patients’ families would probably have been ignored forever.
        I could not swear to this being a totally true store on the evidence I can find, but hubby’s story never changes, just the point of view. So now and then I’ll put a feeler out there. No bites again today.
        Thanks for the info about Boston, though. I didn’t know about either of those places.

• Redhand says:

@MDavis

Not Boston (MA?)
        Philadelphia.

Really? I lived in Philly from 1971-74 and in Cherry Hill, in “South Jersey” due East of Philly from 1974-1980. I worked in Philly from 77-80 too. I don’t doubt you, but I never heard of the “Combat Zone” in the City. I never heard of a group of armed women there. Perhaps they were overshadowed by The MOVE Organization.

Of course, this was all a billion years ago.

• MDavis says:

Anyway, this added info means the odds of me having the straight story have gone down.

5. Richard Portman says:

I feel sorry for that town. Kids probably steal that sign all the time. We have Virgin and Beaver in my neck of the woods. People steal those signs every chance they get. But Pennsylvania wins the prize

6. Scooter says:

You can also detour to Butt City, so I’m told

7. Not to mention “69, dude!”