The View From Canada

This article in Canada’s Globe and Mail (our polite northern neighbor’s  NYTimes) is a five-alarm warning siren:

It’s long, and thoughtful. The writer brings the full assertion that the US is on a parallel path with Germany’s Weimar Republic —and backs it up. There’s a few chilling passages, but mostly it is from the perspective of an observer not a participant, and concludes with a Canadian National Security suggestion because the fall of democracy here would be an (existential?) threat to that country.

Anyway, I highly recommend reading this.

This entry was posted in Canada!, The Big Lie, The Stupid Coup. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to The View From Canada

1. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Those perfidious Canadians just want to grab New England and make it the Southern Maritimes.

2. osirisopto says:

I for one welcome our very polite Candian overlords.

3. Redhand says:

I have felt Weimar in my bones for some time now.

4. spotthedog says:

I think they have been strategically positioning for some time now, I believe there’s already Tim Horton’s as far south as Kentucky!

5. gruaud says:

‘We have shackled ourselves to a corpse’, lamented General Erich Ludendorff, referring to Austria-Hungary.

Canada, like it or not, is shackled to the Not-So-United States, who will look northward when the eastern and western portions of their empire collapses.

6. Lsamsa says:

Damn…I read most of that opinion piece in the Globe & came back after a break & I couldn’t get past that bloody paywall for the last part. Like the N.Y. Times in more ways than one.
    Anyway, Thomas Homer-Dixon certainly has great credentials. I thought his article pointed to something a great many of us fear and are lost as to how to this will play out.
    Funny, this put me in mind of a quote by Pierre Elliott Trudeau in 1969.
    In a speech to the Washington Press Club in March 1969, he said:
    “Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.”
    Hmmm.

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s