We Need To Listen To More Podcasts

Here’s a weird factoid from the big New Yorker article on Dan Bongino:

“In recent months, according to Facebook data, [Bongino’s] page has attracted more engagement than those of the Times, the Washington Post, and the Wall Street Journal combined…”

“..As liberals argue over the algorithm at Facebook and ponder the disruptive influence of TikTok, radio remains a colossus; for every hour that Americans listened to podcasts in 2021, they listened to six and a half hours of AM/FM radio, according to Edison Research, a market-research and polling firm.”

I have not listened to even a minute of AM radio in more than a decade (since getting rid of my car, Miss Audi Hepburn, and even then it was just to get traffic news for the long commute). If I listened to the radio at all, it was FM, but mostly I listened to my own music. When I switched to taking only public transit, my iPod became my commute entertainment, especially podcasts. I never went back.

When Junkie Limbaugh died I thought AM would go with him. Certainly, I thought that the ditto heads were on their way to be his studio audience wherever he ended up (K-HELL).

So I’m kind of stunned that people are still listening to AM, what with everyone having a portable phone (with music). I’m curious: do you listen to AM? If so, what are you listening to?

This entry was posted in Hate Radio, Junkie Limbaugh, Podcasting. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to We Need To Listen To More Podcasts

1. ali redford says:

I can remember this: in 1978-79, I owned a car that received only AM radio. I listened to the rock and roll hits station that I grew up with. I got a new-er car that received FM and had an 8-track, so I mostly listened to tapes, or FM rock. These days, I’m in another area, but I still either listen to FM or our own old CDs in the car. I use my phone in the house for workout music. I haven’t gotten into podcasts yet, but you keep recommending them, so I know it won’t be long!

• Jimmy T says:

I’m totally addicted to Bluesville on Sirius radio, and yeah, I remember the AM (only) days, and then FM, but it was hard to find good blues tunes, unless you count The Rolling Stones, who actually started out as a very good blues/rock&roll group…

2. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Don’t forget that a lot of lesser luminaries in Right Wing Radio World croaked from the ‘rona this past year (the ones who were marks, as well as grifters).

I only put on AM for the traffic and weather reports if I’m driving. I’m lucky to have a really good hyper local FM music station and also listen to a couple of FM college stations. I don’t even have all of my AM presets in use.

3. Richard Portman says:

Sometimes i used to listen to KTNN, “the voice of the Navajo Nation ” because i like some of the music.
    Other than that, too many commercials. Some family listened to Limbaugh every day. AM radio is not for me.

• Richard Portman says:

Sometimes i prefer radio over podcasts. Radio can be raw and stupid, but it has its moments. KTNN would only come over at night, it wouldn’t reach this far in the daytime.

Last time i heard that station, i was traveling from Flagstaff to Kanab. I was with my brother and i said Hey this KTNN territory! Turn it on! They did not disappoint us.

4. Honestly, haven’t listened to radio since I was 14 or so, listening to KTKT AM 1490 on my little portable AM/FM radio. Top 40 at the time. (it’s a Spanish language station ‘adult hits’ station now, which I guess is the new way of saying ‘Oldies’ LOL.)

5. Martin Pollard says:

When I used to have a long commute, I’d turn on WWJ-AM “News Radio 950” (Detroit) for the traffic and weather (and some news). Otherwise, it was mostly my own music ripped from my CD collection (now equally combined with SiriusXM music). No deranged talking heads allowed in this dojo. 😁

6. Czippie L'Shimpe says:

I was a DJ in college in the ’70’s, and really loved radio. I thought for sure it’d be my career, but thankfully, it was not. Enjoyed AM talk on my commute back when Michael Jackson was on (the liberal Englishman). He was very good, but I sensed a shift somewhere along the way, and pretty much became an NPR person from then on.

Now it’s podcasts all the time. I love the selection, and ease with which I can cater to my want for science, comedy, history, or general chat – and sometimes, though rarely – politics.

And I will state for the record that I would listen to an MPS podcast hosted by our illustrious Tengrain with great pleasure.

Ali – If ever you would like some recommendations for podcasts, I’m your source, just be aware, they’re quite addictive..

7. purplehead says:

There is nothing on AM radio for me. Nothing. And almost nothing on FM, except for the classical music. But even that is hit and miss. I even had someone overhaul my old 1937 Crosley shortwave, but, ya know, shortwave ain’t what it used to be! Lots of static where there used to be blab and music from all over the world. And still a couple of “knockknockknockknock-at-the-tone the time is…GMT.” The Internet killed shortwave.

I listen to LOTS of podcasts, though, on an actual iPod Touch, which is an iPhone without the iPhone app. Don’t have a smart phone because I’m not smart that way. And don’t have a teevee, either. But, my gosh, there are so many wonderful podcasts, huge varieties. That’s my entertainment and information discourse. If anyone would like a few suggestions, I could put some here.

Purplehead – please feel free to list ’em (and link ’em) if you want. I think many of us are always looking for new entertainment.

• purplehead says:

OMgosh, I’d love to do that. I’ll make a list with links of some of my favorites (proleftpodcast is right at the top) and post it later. I have been a radio-head since a wee thing, slept with a table-top Bendix beside my head, and fell asleep to baseball games (they’re really good for that), the Lone Ranger, and police radio calls (there was a band for that). So podcasts fit right in to that slot, since, sadly, radio is crap.

8. quakerinabasement says:

AM is foe El Beisbol. Solaente.

9. Wesley Sandel says:

The entire radio industry and culture went completely to shit when Ronald Raygun got rid of the Fairness Doctrine. No local content and right-wing drivel all the time.

10. I’m fond of zero advertising. A Jump drive with a thousand songs delivers.

11. Sirius Lunacy says:

I have almost 500 vinyl albums as well as about 40 cds. I have digitized all that music and crammed it into a tiny mp3 player that can go with me anywhere. I have a subscription to satellite radio. I barely listened to AM radio back when that was the only choice. The only time I listen to AM radio these days is on the rare occasion that I have to cover a night shift on the same night that my local minor league hockey team has a game and I put the game on in the background while I’m working.

12. Buttermilk Sky says:

I listen to Bob Dylan’s Theme Time Radio Hour on YouTube, and you should, too. A real musical education with no commercials.

13. Richard Portman says:

14. spotthedog says:

I am keenly interested in learning what others here have enjoyed and recommend for podcast listening. A few years ago someone got me hooked on ‘Welcome To Night Vale’; I found it entertaining in a weird offbeat kinda way.