There’s No Cure for the Stupid

Sweet, sweet relief

I was reading last night in Mary Roach’s new book Fuzz that in the Middle Ages, some city brought a lawsuit against caterpillars and ordered them to appear in court to explain themselves. This is almost as stupid:

Under a new law in Ohio — one of at least 19 states this year that have restricted state or local authorities from safeguarding public health amid the coronavirus pandemic — Franklin County’s health commissioner Joe Mazzola can no longer intervene. The county health department was stripped of its power to compel people to wear masks even as the omicron variant fuels a fifth coronavirus surge in the United States.

The number of states that have passed laws similar to Ohio’s is proliferating fast, from eight identified in one study in May to more than double that many as of last month, according to an analysis by Temple University’s Center for Public Health Law Research. And around the country, many more measures are being debated or being prepared for legislative sessions to start early in the new year.

These laws — the work of Republican legislators — inhibit health officers’ ability to require masks, promote vaccinations ortake other steps, such as closing or limiting the number of patrons in restaurants, bars and other indoor public settings. Often, the measures shift those decisions from health experts to elected officials at a time when such coronavirus-fighting strategies have become politically radioactive.

The caterpillars pupated into butterflies and flew away, and the city that brought them to court considered the matter settled. I think Republicans killing themselves to own the Libs is going to be a similar historical footnote.

WTF are these people thinking?

This entry was posted in Herd Immunity, mask mandate, masks, Pandemics, Vaccine, vaccine mandates, Vaccine Passports. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to There’s No Cure for the Stupid

1. antiscience says:

They’re Nazis: they think that the healthy will be untouched, and the dirty, unhealthy, foreign element will get the disease and be culled. They haven’t a clue.

2. Jimmy T says:

When you allow political ideology to trump medical science, you get more infection, serious health impacts, and ultimately more deaths. It’s denialism in its most toxic form, and brought to the good citizens in Red state America by the GQP. I hope that sometime in the immediate future the rubes will demand better, but then again they’re rubes, and as such are incapable of imagining a healthy future for them and their offspring. Pity…

“Let’s go COVID” is the new Fuck You republicans.

4. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

I’m comfortable with them dying, but I’m not comfortable with the fact that I’m comfortable with them dying.

I used to be an empathetic person, but these assholes, who devalue empathy, have cured me of that.

B-4 –

Highly infectious diseases is a game changer for me, too.

I mean, I’m all up for Natural Selection (and this seems like an event), but they are taking out innocent people, and that I do not care for.

In the beginning of the Trump-Virus, I thought this could be a WW2-style pulling the nation together to defeat a common enemy, but between the Xristian Xrazies and the Libertarians, and dog-only know who else these selfish Right Wing eff’ers are, we passed the point of no return. I don’t care any longer. They made a choice, they should die with it. Give’em a chisel and a block of granite.

5. buckobear says:

Next up are traffic lwsand drunk driving. Enforcing them is just an infringement on Freedumb.
    Hell, let’s just eliminate law enforcement altogether.

6. Redhand says:

There is a feature piece today in the NYT — First They Fought About Masks. Then Over the Soul of the City — about the Red/Blue divide in Enid, Oklahoma. Read the Wiki article at the link about the demographics of the place. I actually lived there as a very small boy in the early Fifties when my Dad attended flight training at nearby Vance Air Force Base. I have some fragmentary memories of the place: one of my sisters was born there.

The gist of the article is that white Americans living there fear the changing demographics of the place so much so that they are undergoing a collective identity crisis: Per the 2010 Census:

The racial makeup of the city was 81.6% White, 3.6% African American, 2.3% Native American, 1.1% Asian, 2.2% Pacific Islander, 5.4% from other races, and 2.84% from two or more races. The population of Hispanic or Latino Americans more than doubled between 2000 and 2010, up from 4.74% in 2000 to 10.3% in 2010.

I would assume that the trend has accelerated in the succeeding decade.

The response now is apparently for the whites to view those wearing masks as “outlaws” (my phrase) who want to “take away our freedoms.” People who wear masks are actually shunned. The whites have it all mixed up in their heads with who they are, and what the country stands for, apparently. It’s as if basic public health considerations are anti-Murrican.

I’ll never understand such attitudes. I tell my immigration clients — for those who don’t know, I’m an immigration lawyer — that what matters to me is not the color of your skin, or what language you speak, but whether you are willing to accept the values of racial equality and equality of opportunity that this country is supposed to stand for.

I suppose in the coming decade I’ll get to see whether or not I am as wrong as I think I am about what this country really stands for. It’s not lost on me that Enid itself may be as “American” as apple pie. Enid was a starting point for one of the last great legal thefts of Indian land, the 1893 Cherokee Strip Land Run.

• ali redford says:

Well spoken (written.) And thank you for all you do.

• Jimmy T says:

People like you and a number of other scissorheads are a big reason why I come here so often. You write clearly and are quite informative. Thanks for that…

• “49,379 people in the 2010 census”.

0.016% of the US population singled out for a in-depth investigation of just what makes them tick.

Just Another Cletus Safari with reporting that is perpetuating the deeply pernicious idea that land (owned by White People) votes.

The Real Americans, Stalwart Denizens of The Heartland. The Common Clay of the New West, who built their homes by the sweat of their brows from raw untouched wilderness were given everything they own by the government because they were white people with land stolen from the rightful owners because they were not.

I am really REALLY fucking sick and tired of being told by inbred white dumbass crackers that I am somehow NOT a “Real” American because I live in a city, and don’t view my neighbors as threats but neigbors, and think that by working together we can make this a “More Perfect Union.”

I’m quite> willing to tell them that if they wanna REALLY get into their cosplay civil war shit for reals, they’ll be deeply fucking surprised to find out how many of us will be perfectly willing to stick them in the dirt.

JUST LIKE LAST TIME

7. revzafod says:

“WTF are these people thinking?”
    “Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do.”
    – Bertrand Russell

8. regardless, we still need for those motherfucking caterpillars to EXPLAIN THEMSELVES.