California Takes Aim At Gundamentalists

Texas opened Pandora’s Box with their abortion vigilante bill, and it looks like California is using the same strategy, but against guns:

Gavin Newsom says he’ll use Texas abortion law as model for gun-control measure

“I am outraged by yesterday’s U.S. Supreme Court decision allowing Texas’s ban on most abortion services to remain in place,” Newsom wrote in a statement Saturday. “But if states can now shield their laws from review by the federal courts that compare assault weapons to Swiss Army knives, then California will use that authority to protect people’s lives, where Texas used it to put women in harm’s way.”

He said he has already directed his staff to work with the legislature and the attorney general to craft a bill that would allow private citizens to sue those who manufacture, distribute or sell an assault weapon or ghost gun kit.

“If the most efficient way to keep these devastating weapons off our streets is to add the threat of private lawsuits, we should do just that,” he wrote.

This should be interesting to watch how the SCOTUS reacts as they are just as enthralled to fundamentalists as they are to theocrats.

This entry was posted in Forced Birth, Guns! Guns! Guns!, SCOTUS, War on Women. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to California Takes Aim At Gundamentalists

1. Jimmy T says:

Just gonna drop this off. It just might work…

2. Martin Pollard says:

“Sauce for the goose, Mr. Saavik.” – Spock, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

I truly love it when the Law of Unintended Consequences comes back around to bite short-sighted right-wingers in the ass. Did any of these idiots truly not believe that blue states would start doing these exact same things as red states are doing? They must really believe that lefties, when confronted with “tough guy” things, will simply roll over and show their bellies in submission. (Granted, that does seem to happen a lot, but I think they’ve pushed their luck too far now, like they always do.)

3. Redhand says:

So, I been [intentional misspelliing] a lawyer since, like, 1977. And now, in 2021, I’m one who no longer believes the highest court of the land has any legitimacy at all to interpret the constitution and “say what the law is.” Even at my age, that’s disillusioning.

I recommend adding a DNA sample to the list and tattooing the serial # of each gun they own on their ass.

5. Oneofthebobs says:

I just got home from a cross country trip. I’m glad that California is home.

6. pagan in repose says:

Just watched “Inherit the wind” for the umpteenth time, and I’m still amazed at the old saying “the more things change the more they stay the same”, and how the movie sure does epitomize that saying as much as anything. Peddling ignorance at all costs for power and greed, seemingly the never ending act of Capitalism as it now stands under Milton Friedman’s unfettered Capitalism bullshit. And, Wall street is the arbitrator of this continuing economic/social suicide.