Dr. Frankenstein Regrets Building The Monster, Vows To Build Another

The future looks troubling; on the other hand…

I’m sure that my blogging betters, Driftglass and Yas, will be all over this:

“What passes for ‘conservatism’ now, however, is nearly the opposite of the Burkean conservatism I encountered then. Today, what passes for the worldview of ‘the right’ is a set of resentful animosities, a partisan attachment to Donald Trump or Tucker Carlson, a sort of mental brutalism. The rich philosophical perspective that dazzled me then has been reduced to Fox News and voter suppression.”

“I recently went back and reread the yellowing conservatism books that I have lugged around with me over the decades. I wondered whether I’d be embarrassed or ashamed of them, knowing what conservatism has devolved into. I have to tell you that I wasn’t embarrassed; I was enthralled all over again, and I came away thinking that conservatism is truer and more profound than ever—and that to be a conservative today, you have to oppose much of what the Republican Party has come to stand for.”

This entry was posted in David Fucking Brooks, Talentless Hacks. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Dr. Frankenstein Regrets Building The Monster, Vows To Build Another

1. purplehead says:

I just want to slap that guy all over his asinine head.

2. “I’m completely innocent bystander, shocked, SHOCKED that that school full of small children is engulfed in flames! It is a terrible thing!” says the soot-covered man frantically trying to wash the gasoline residue from his hands, while nervously kicking the empty gasoline can into bushes behind him.

3. lisahgolden says:

The only difference between the country club republicans and what we now call republicans is that they are now saying the quiet part out loud.

4. purplehead says:

I recently went back and thought about the attenuating non-violent dispositions that I have cheerfully sustained over the decades. I wondered whether I’d be embarrassed or ashamed of them, knowing what conservatism has devolved into. I have to tell you that I wasn’t embarrassed; I was enraged, and I came away thinking that conservatism is uglier and more profoundly evil than ever—and that to be a conservative today, you have to oppose much of what decent people have come to stand for.

5. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

It’s here where I note that William F. Buckley was an advocate for white supremacy during the Civil Rights era. Brooks just laments the vulgarity of the MAGA crowd- those boors would no doubt end up using the wrong fork at dinner.

David F’ing Brooks has served his purpose and does not yet realize he is now part of the fringe of the republican party that he helped create. He would be better served by focusing his current writings on the unintended consequences that have resulted from his previous writings.

• Stony Pillow says:

He would be better served by swapping his $800 suit for sackcloth and ashes, and taking up permanent residence in Times Square in expiation.

7. Another Kiwi says:

“The rich philosophical perspective that dazzled me”. It was always just shiny big words for race based arseholery, mr. Brooks.

8. Wesley Sandel says:

Intellectual white trash is so amusing.