Bad Signs, Cont.

There’s an intersection you want to avoid.

This entry was posted in Bad Signs. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Bad Signs, Cont.

1. spotthedog says:

Thought that looked familiar; Nashville. Avoid driving there at all if you can.

• Martin Pollard says:

Went there several times with my ex-GF back in the early 2000s. She enjoyed going to the annual CMA Music Festival (it was still known as Fan Fair back then), and even though I didn’t care for country music, I went as the supportive boyfriend (and heck, getting away for a few days’ vacation is always nice, and I’ll admit that that part of Tennessee has a lot of nice scenery). I’m still trying to detoxify myself after being exposed to that music for 11 years!

(Yeah, in hindsight, I should’ve gotten out sooner, but it was my first serious relationship and I completely ignored all the red flags that pointed to “this isn’t going to work out.” Live and learn, I guess, but it all worked out in the end as I’ve now been with my soulmate for nine years [married for the last seven].)

• spotthedog says:

Yes absolutely some great scenery in that region.

I used to work downtown and during CMA/Fan Fair lost tourists would inevitably approach locals for directions to the various attractions, and I kind of enjoyed helping them. The most interesting such occurrence was when 2 young women who I think were French stopped me to ask (in heavily-accented bits of English, and much arm waving) how to get to the CM Hall of Fame, or at least I believed that’s what they were asking through our language barrier, I got them pointed in the right direction, they were very sweet and seemed to be having a great time.

• Martin Pollard says:

Funny thing with our visits: she didn’t attend the concerts, only the fan club parties. Which was fine by me, as I’m not much of a concert-goer and the parties were more interesting. (I actually met and got a photo with Keith Urban, who was obviously just starting out at that time; he’d never be able to do modest fan club parties now. Really nice guy.) One of her favorite restaurants was Ellendale’s, which was decent but I couldn’t see the appeal of the place, as the food it served really wasn’t anything special. It was the subject of an episode of Robert Irvine’s Restaurant Impossible, but it ultimately couldn’t save the place: it closed in 2018.

2. skinnydennis says:

Charge of the Stoplight Brigade?

• 🎵”Jokers to the left of me, Karen’s to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you!”🎶

Yet another song permanetly warped in my head by it’s use in a movie.

I still cannot hear “Singing in the rain” without thinking of Alex and his droogies…

• jetsam359 says:

Fun movie that fit the times, waiting for the remake where the Trumpers take on the role of Alex’s rival gangL…

3. gruaud says:

<– Himmler Avenue

Murdoch Way  -->

4. revzafod says:

I used to admire the scenery on the KY/TN border area about 60 miles NW of that intersection from the air, from about 1000 feet up to the ground from 1962 thru 1964, altho I only got about a minute to look as I had other things to do on the way down. Make sure my main chute was open, avoid colliding with others, check the landing area below to be sure it was clear, and finally, land doing a good PLF [parachute landing fall] to avoid busting my butt. 101st Airborne at Ft. Campbell.

Interesting aside: when I reported in, in June 62, I overlapped for about 10 days in the division with another trooper who was about to be discharged. Fella by the name of Jimi Hendrix.