RIP, Colin Powell

General Colin Powell, the first Black Secretary of State and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, passed away this morning due to cancer complicated with the Trump Virus. Powell was vaccinated BUT he was undergoing cancer treatment and so was immune compromised.

CNN has a full remembrance.

Powell has a complicated story of highs and lows; his participation in lying at the UN to push America into Chimpy’s Great Adventure in Iraq is a stain on his legacy and ours. s

This entry was posted in Chimpy's Great Adventure, Dead Celebrities. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to RIP, Colin Powell

1. jetsam359 says:

I can never forgive him for the lies he told to get us to invade Iraq, but I admire him for him admitting when he was wrong, and the fact that he never voted for TFG…

I’m told that he was lied to by the intelligence community, but I don’t recall that part of the story. And if he was, well, it makes me think he heard what he wanted to hear. I remember the UN presentation very well and being outraged, especially the bit about the Winnebagos of Death.

He’s complicated, but he’s right: that is a stain on his very accomplished legacy.

2. S M McBean says:

The guy couldn’t bridge the gap between loyal soldier and statesman. I read a NYT Mag article about Col. Wilkerson, his Chief of Staff at Pentagon and State, insisting Powell demanded Cheney reassure him face to face before going to the UN. All Cheney’s fault, say Wilkerson! But I, a blue collar nobody knew all his points had been refuted. His job was to repeat the narrative. It’s still the narrative, but with the footnote “we were wrong”. He came through our college town later on the “lecture” circuit. All rationalization, no apology. I was unimpressed. Too bad he destroyed his own legacy with misplaced loyalty. Wonder how his excuse went over with St. Peter, maybe already trying to convince Beelzebub there’s been a mistake. Sorry for the ramble.

3. MDavis says:

Yes, he was lied to. But a person in his position should have the experience, intelligence and information to know it and act accordingly.
    I suspect he’s been lied to before, known it, and gone along with it for the greater good. Any reassurances he got were likely answers to “is this the right lie to tell?” kind of thing rather than “is this the really real truth?”
    This time he was lied to about the lie and also about why it was the right lie to tell.
    Just my opinion.

4. Stony Pillow says:

My Lai coverup?
    Involvement in the “dirty wars” in Central America in the 80s?
    The Iraq UN speech?

Anyone? Anyone?

No “Rest in Peace” for him. Nuh-uh.

• MDavis says:

Now I have to amend my previous comment. Let’s just say that “the greater good” meant, to this guy, “will the right people get killed? and will I get caught for my part in making it happen?” He’s looking for a Yes and a NO, in that order.

• Bruce388 says:

You beat me to the My Lai reference.

5. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Never trust Republicans!

6. Bruce388 says:

A funny line from the Dennis Miller of years gone by, referring to a photo of Powell and Newt Gingrich: “Here’s a photo of a Colin — and an asshole!”