Bad Design, Cont.

Let’s just say that I’m not a fan.

This entry was posted in Bad Design. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Bad Design, Cont.

1. jetsam359 says:

On the brighter side, Bezos needed a competitor…

2. Bruce388 says:

A former co-worker used to drive while intoxicated. He tried the same thing with a New Jersey traffic circle. He didn’t go airborne, and he made it through the circle, but his car was disabled. A cop stopped to see if he was OK, saw how the guy had improved the traffic circle, and gave him and his future wife a ride to the police station.

3. My introduction to Boston city traffic was getting off the Pike and driving through their traffic circles.

At rush hour.

On my motorcycle.

This is also when I learned that Yellow meant speed up, Red meant “Eehh..there’s no one in front of me yet, YOLO!”, and Green meant “Look both ways for the assholes running the reds.”

• Sirius Lunacy says:

A couple decades ago I was staying in a Boston hotel. One of the TV channels had local information on it including a tutorial on how to handle Boston traffic. A nice young lady, carefully donning copious amounts of protective driving gear, would go over different situations, such as traffic circles, and tell you the recommended way to deal with them. She would conclude each segment with “my advice is to just close your eyes and go for it”.

• Bruce388 says:

Jean Shepherd (RIP), who gave us “A Christmas Story,” a radio show in NYC, several PBS series, and contributions to various magazines, wrote a column for Car & Driver for a few years. One month the topic was how we like to mock drivers from neighboring states.

Shep ended the column with a warning to watch out for Massachusetts and Arkansas drivers.

4. heydave says:

Didn’t quite make it thru the uprights tho.

5. beckymaenot says:

holyshit

6. HarpoSnarx says:

“And he never returned and he never returned
    and his fate is still unlearned . . . ”

“Charlie on the MTA”: not just about trains!

7. w3ski4me says:

There is a steep hill in Berkeley with a road down the center of it called Marin Ave. The occasional car would lose brakes on the hill and go sailing on towards downtown. The city in its infinite wisdom put a round-about at the bottom to discourage people from getting farther downtown. Then later on they had to redo it and put in a freeway divider and cement pilings to stop the errant cars that still made it thru.
    My total experience with roundabouts.
    w3ski

I know Marin well.

When I was in the UK on business, the roundabouts (they have them on the equivalent of highways!) so freaked me out that not only was I forbidden from driving, I was ordered into the back seat and instructed in no uncertain terms to look at my feet.

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s