Minnesota Nice

Now try getting out of the tree.

Here’s the morning quote that will draw you into the story:

“The party is in ruins,” Michael Brodkorb, a former deputy chair of the Minnesota GOP, said on Friday.

He added, “I don’t know if the party has hit rock bottom yet.”

And here’s some context:

The proximate cause of [Minnesota Republican Party chair Jennifer Carnahan] departure was a firestorm that engulfed the party in recent days, after a GOP donor she was close to, Anton “Tony” Lazzaro, was indicted on federal sex-trafficking charges. A pile-on ensued, with Carnahan, the wife of Republican U.S. Rep. Jim Hagedorn, accused by party officials and former staffers of running a toxic, retaliatory workplace, mismanaging party finances and, through the use of non-disclosure agreements, squashing transparency.

So Minnesota GQP is about a year ahead of midterm elections, they have no leader, they have an exploding sex scandal from a significant player… and what’s that, you say?

In addition to the charges against Lazzaro, the chairwoman of the University of St. Thomas College Republicans was arrested on charges she assisted him in trafficking minors for sex, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.

So they don’t even have the College Republicans. Heh.  How could it get any worse?

Four former executive directors of the state party have called for an external financial audit.

Why do they want an audit, you ask?

Carnahan did not exit quietly, casting the deciding vote on Thursday to give herself a severance of about $38,000.

And all of it is going to fueling headlines for the foreseeable future.

This entry was posted in 2022 Pie Fight, Crazeee States, Grifters Gotta Grift, Minnesota, Sex fiends. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Minnesota Nice

1. sos says:

If only “One ‘L'” (last seen deep-throating a corndog) would ride in for the rescue!

“A pile-on ensued, with Carnahan, […] accused by party officials and former staffers of running a toxic, retaliatory workplace, mismanaging party finances and, through the use of non-disclosure agreements, squashing transparency.”

It’s a mystery to me why those same alleged ‘party officials’ can’t recognize the SOP of their own damn party. Their rose-colored glasses must be an inch thick.

3. Burr Deming says:

I’m not paying enough attention, or I’m too damn old to get it.

What is unreported here?
    I don’t see how the crimes of a donor would reflect on Carnahan if she was unaware until later.

The toxic workplace, and mismanagement of party finances strike me as serious issues separate from the donor thing.

• MDavis says:

I think the phrase :… a GOP donor she was close to,…” is carrying a lot of subtext, here, The implication, which deserves a separate investigation, is that she was close enough to this guy to, at minimum, have some knowledge of what he was up to.
      It’s so easy to just jump to the conclusion that she had some influence in his extracurricular activities, just as the next person mentioned is said to. It’s a shit sandwich. so she might have been smeared.
      And if there was actually a cat in that bag, having it come out let her office subordinates report on a situation now that she’ll have a harder time retaliating against them for doing so.
      But I do see where a lot of this may by mere speculation brought up by the article, which I have not read in full – just the snippets here.

• MDavis says:

Okay, I read it.
      Paragraphs 8 and 9:

First term state Sen. Julia Coleman, who was among the first GOP elected officials in the state to call for Carnahan’s ouster, said a big reason she decided to run for office was to get more young people, particularly women, to embrace the Republican Party, but that the current scandal has undermined those efforts.

“When you have woman after woman after woman coming out and saying that they had an issue with abuse or sexual assault and that our chairwoman stifled their story, that’s concerning to me,” said Coleman, whose father-in-law is former Republican U.S. Sen. Norm Coleman. “If I was a young woman recently graduating, I wouldn’t want to come anywhere near the MN GOP.””

And then no more is said about all the women that Coleman is alleging are coming forward with accusations about abuses and about the chairwoman (Carnahan) stifling those accusations.
      I would have thought this would be a bigger part of the story. What accusation? How is Carnahan alleged to have stifled them? How is the accusation that she covered up harassment of her staffers(!) connect? Is this trafficking supposed to have trickled into Carnahan’s office?

• Burr Deming says:

Excellent analysis. Even your speculation clarifies some of what is missing.
        Thank you.

And yeah, more expansive reporting would be useful.

4. spotthedog says:

“I don’t know if the party has hit rock bottom yet.” – it won’t.

5. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Wait, the QAnon people were wrong about Hillary trafficking children?

6. pagan in repose says:

Yipee, oh, I mean, that’s too bad that their having all these problems. No, I mean, hardee-har-freaking-hardee-har-har. Their scubbaggery starts to rear it’s filthy little head in broad daylight.

The question remains, will we ever determine the depth and breadth of the damage done by the republican party over the last 60+ years to our fledgling democracy. Personally, I don’t think the news media and the media in general could stand to expose itself to the light of that day.

But, hope does spring eternal…so I’ve been told.