Independence Day

4th of July: Going out with a bang!

Fellow West Coasties:

Can we keep fireworks sane this year? As in, go watch the municipal displays, don’t set your ‘hood on fire and terrorize all the animals?

Asking for about 25% of the country.

Thanks!

Yer Pal,

Tengrain

This entry was posted in snark. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Independence Day

1. ali redford says:

I join you in this supplication. Our poor doggy is just terrorized, and we still have almost 5 more hours of this before it’s supposed to be over for the year. sigh Corky and I are the Grinches of 7/4; “All the noise Noise NOISe, NoiSe!”

• Five hours? Luxury!!! we’re on day three of the nightly shock-n-awe re-enactment in my ‘hood. I expect we’re going to have another round of it tomorrow night.

Is it wrong of me to hope the assholes blow their fingers off?

• ali redford says:

Yeah, we’re down to one more hour, but they’ve been able to blow stuff up since 10AM 7/1. It’s supposed to stop at midnight tonight, so there’s that, though we’ve got plenty of freedumb jerks here in town. I guess I should be thankful they’re using fireworks and not their firearms. Meanwhile I don’t think you’re wrong, though all I’ve been hoping for is that they come close enough to blowing off a body part that they stop. No such luck here, of course. My poor doggy; I’ve been singing to her and massaging her head. She’s had CBD every day, with a little antihistamine in the mix today, but it hasn’t fazed her. I have a vibrating office chair while I’m typing this. I suppose I should be thankful for that.

2. Sir Nigel says:

Just BBQ’d at our neighbor’s house. They’ve got Roman Candles for tonight. We asked them to kindly dispense with the celebrations….after all there’s a $1,000 fine if they get caught. Up to them…we left.

3. tengrain says:

My grumpy old man terrier would calmly walk to his “cave”, look over his shoulder glaring at his hoomin, then go inside and close the door. The only time he EVER CLOSED THE DOOR.

His greatest gift was to always be able to make me feel guilty for whatever outrage he was enduring.

4. TheOtherHank says:

It’s too late in my neighborhood. The fuckers.

5. MDavis says:

I am surprised at the courtesy around here concerning fireworks. I suspect there are too many folks who have had to join in fighting brush fires or have family members whose job that is. Since we’ve been under a red flag warning that is a good thing.

6. They’ve been blowing them off here since Friday night. I heard the City of Tonawanda is having their display TONIGHT for some damn reason. I closed the windows & turned on the A/C last night … everyone in my apartment complex was throwing fireworks of some kind or another. They were quite close to the building, I could see them going off right outside the my bedroom window, some of the sparks were hitting the window. My cats were very upset. I didn’t see Bobby until this morning.

7. sos says:

It was really toned down this year in Madison. Probably because it’s so dry and also the news did a feature on a Marine that blew half his arm off last year.

Avery stood sentinel duty at the end of the bed for a few hours. Hopefully tonight will be quiet again, too.

8. T_Reg says:

So, how was your Purge this year? I’m happy to report that the sporadic gunfire remained outside my house.

That wasn’t gunfire, you say? What kind of sick ;&#@#$&!s act like that?

9. beckymaenot says:

Well, here in Georgduh, there has been endless noise pollution since they legalized all things explosive. We are treated to these delightful pop and booms nearly every Friday and Saturday night. It has been particularly obnoxious these last 3 days. I was hoping for a rain-out, but unfortunately no such luck. Last night was completely ridiculous and it went on for hours and hours- starting at 730pm and ran all the way to 1230 or so. A couple of super assholes on my block ( I mean I can only assume that asshole is their super power) have apparently been stocking up for months and last night was the grand finale. (Jeebus-I hope it was the finale. I can’t imagine there are any more fireworks in the state after their performance last night.) I have a 130 lb great dane mix who looks a bit like Weeza’s dog on Steel Magnolias this morning. I tranked that poor mutt starting at 430 Friday, but she remains super freaked. Uhg. I might leave a flaming bag of her poo on their doorstep as I have my own “freedumb” celebration this evening.