Bad Signs, Cont.

H/T @NamelessCynic, who clearly knows his merde.

I do NOT want to know where this sign is needed.

This entry was posted in Bad Signs. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Bad Signs, Cont.

1. antiscience says:

Kneehill County, Alberta, CA. Who knew Albertans were raised in a barn?

2. CalicoJack says:

Howdy y’all!

It’s needed in most of the world. I don’t know about the fishing one, But, the squating one, definitely. If a place has a flushing facility, which there are plenty that don’t, it will be a squatty. You can still find them in Europe. A squatty is a porceline lined hole in the floor that can flush. Old habits are hard to break. People don’t always intuitively understand a toilet.

I was flying back to Viet Nam from India. We had a stop over in Thailand. The Bangkok International Airport is quite nice. I hit the toilet shortly after landing. In the stall next to me, I could hear a lot of splashing and carrying on. There were several flushes, too. Eventually, a substantial amount of water not only was spilled onto the floor, it was sufficient to begin running under the divider and puddling on the floor. I don’t know what the fellow was doing over there, but he definitely didn’t recognize the function of a toilet and used it for what he thought it would be used for in his culture. He coulda benefitted from the sign. Hell, for all know, he landed a big fish and that was the cause of the splashing and spilled water.

Our cultural norms are not intuitive.

Huzzah!
    Jack

The more you know, Calico. The world is a banquet, but please don’t eat the toilet fish.

• Jimmy T says:

Lived in Japan many years ago, I saw the need for detailed toiletry signs when there. Basically, there was just a hole in the floor to do your “business” in. Times have changed. Now Japan is a modern country, but then it was in full WWII recovery mode…

• Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Now, the toilets have built-in heaters, bidets, and sometimes play music to cover embarrassing biological noises. When a bunch of us went to Japan for my brother Sweetums’ wedding, one of his buddies unplugged the toilet in a bar because the heated seat was unpleasant to him.

• CalicoJack says:

Same when I first arrived in South Korea in the mid ‘90’s. Development around the world and within countries is very uneven.

• M. Bouffant says:

Yes indeed. Public toilets in Paris (’69-’70) were often like this, usually w/ two foot-sized spots on the floor w/ gutters around them to squat on. Usually flushed by gravity from a tank near the ceiling, too. Inexpensive, does the job.

Could this be a toilet on a pier or dock, that goes directly to the water? (You filthy Albertans you!)