Midday Palate Cleanser

As Scissorhead Purplehead put it, we’re all gonna need one of these this weekend when the PNW goes into triple digits. Normally, Seattle would be in the mid- to upper-seventies, but there’s no such thing as Climate Change, amiright?

Anyway, I think Purp meant the water fountain, but I would gladly have the Frenchie. Too. Also.

This entry was posted in dogs, global climate change, Palate Cleansers. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Midday Palate Cleanser

1. Jimmy T says:

Today 94, Saturday 106, Sunday 112, Monday 110, and then its in the 90’s for the following week. Portland is a little farther South than Seattle, but damn. I’ve never seen a heat wave of this magnitude in June EVER. The previous record was set in 1965 and again in 1981 with a then record of 107. Last year I had a whole house AC unit installed, best decision ever. Now let’s hope the power grid is up to it…

2. 112° ??? Oh you guys gotta have plans because that can kill yah.

Hope they’re putting up cooling centers for the folks without AC…hell we treated 112° as a dangerous heat event and this is the frikking Sonoran Desert. 100° is pretty well normal for June…

(Note: despite what snowflake texans may tell yah, 80° on the thermostat isn’t going to kill you, and will definitely hell keep the power grid standing up.)

Most of the cooling centers in Seattle are at best 25% capacity because of the pandemic. I’m counting on Gov. Inslee to open earlier than planned.

That said, there are zero that are open in my ‘hood: we didn’t vote for the current Mayor and she quite literally has done zero for this neighborhood except turn the police on us during the protests last year. Thankfully she has declined to run again… but in the meanwhile I’m going old school: to the basement.

• MDavis says:

I think it was NYPD Blue, where the crazy cop kept arresting the same guy, got a different name every time, and confided one day he was worried about his mom in a heat wave.
        “Does she have a bath tub?” asked the perp.
        “Yep. Why?”
        I’ll tell you what to do” said the perp. “Have her fill the bathtub with cold water.”
        “Yeah?”
        “And sit in it.”
        Sometimes the simple answers just might work. If you have a bathtub.

• beckymaenot says:

It’s always cool in the basement. That’s where I spend all of the summer days… Of course it’s not as hot here in GA these days, but the humidity is suffocating. I hope you all are staying as cool as possible. Sending lots of icey vibes your way…

3. E.A. Blair says:

Use Celsius – 40° doesn’t seem so bad as 104°.

4. revzafod says:

A few minutes ago just after 5PM, the temp was 97.2F,dew pt 79.5, for a heat Index of 117, and summer’s just getting started here just NW of Dallas; aka, normal.

High so far today for Seattle was 84.6F, dew pt 65.7, for a Heat Index of 87, 30F cooler than here. I’d be out working in the yard there, enjoying the cool weather.

• revzafod says:

But Monday for Seattle, forecast calls for 106F, 23%RH, or Heat Index of 108, so find some AC then.

Rev –

I’m a 5th generation Californian, and while I like the modest heat up here, I know how to exist in the extreme. I’m worried about the natives from here, however. Especially the olds.

5. Mary Ellen Sandahl says:

My heart goes out to all you PNW folk, esp as you aren’t accustomed to much in the way of heat. But those temps would be Bad even here in sometimes-subtropical NJ.
    Frenchie dance of joy gets my VOTE!

6. muttpupdad says:

These type of temps are why I moved from the Midwest to the PNW. They aren’t suppose to happen here.