Bad Signs, Cont.

H/T Scissorhead Purplehead

And in related news:

Specialists advise you to hit the bear on the nose… with your stump.

This entry was posted in snark. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Bad Signs, Cont.

1. Jimmy T says:

Have to admit, I like bears but at a distance. I backpacked throughout the Cascades for years and never had a problem. The wild back country bears are deathly afraid of humans, the ones closer to civilization less so in that they’ve discovered human garbage (not Chumpanzees but actual garbage). I was far more concerned with cougars, bur never had a problem with them either. In all the time I spent backcountry, the only time I was truly concerned was when the elk were rutting, not because of any danger they may have imposed, but because their bellowing quest for females was really unnerving…

2. skinnydennis says:

My folks tell me I had a bear encounter at Yellowstone when I was 8, in camp, everyone else was in our tent, I was outside at the table. Apparently I stared it down until it left. I have no memory of this whatsoever. So I was probably scared out of my mind and blocked it. I guess.

• muttpupdad says:

Mine at Yellowstone was when I was five. A mama and her two cubs came up on us while having a picnic. We ran for the car while they finished our picnic. What made me mad was I had two carrot sticks that I had been saving and they got them. I still have not forgiven that bear.

3. We were told that joke by a US Parks service ranger…:-)

Cougars are scarier because there’s more of ’em, and they have NO fucking fear of humans, but here in Baja Arizona the scarier thing to run into are javelina…they travel in packs, are nearsighted so anything that moves looks like something scary and they’re generally pissed off all time anyway (look, if YOU ate nothing but cactus you would probably be pissed off all time 🙂

And the girl in that video has been interviewed and is telling people, “Don’t do what I did!”

• Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Years ago, while on the course of a cross-country road trip, we hit Big Bend National Park in Texas. On a hike, we saw a black bear about twenty feet away, and did the whole ‘look big and make noise bit’. One night, we were drinking with a couple of girls from UT law school, who brought their dog along. We were sitting at a picnic table when about twenty or thirty javelinas ran through our campsite. I immediately grabbed their dog and put it on the table, holding onto its collar and saying, “No false moves, buddy!”

GOOD TIMES!

• Bruce388 says:

Our first javelina sighting involved a couple of them sauntering down the street. Some guy was on the other side of the street walking his dog. The dog was studiously avoiding the critters, which was a brilliant strategy.

Coyotes are the javelina’s natural enemy and when javelinas see a dog, they’re thinking coyote and react accordingly. So I’ve heard. Our former bug guy says they’re hard to kill.

• Wesley Sandel says:

Are you sure you’re talking about javalina and not wild pig? Pigs are an invasive species and are found almost all over the continent and are notoriously dangerous to hunt – except for the boars. Apparently a pack of dogs will go after the boars testicles so he backs up to a tree and which point you can walk right up to it and shoot it.

• if this is AZ, it’s javalina. They’re not too difficult to kill, though…when I was growing up one of the other kids on our block’s dad worked for AZ Fish and Game. Had a big BBQ for Darryl’s birthday that featured some roasted pulled javelina. Definitely an acquired taste (strongly reminiscent of cactus for some reason 🙂

AFAIK feral pigs are not a big problem here, thankfully, but they are around (old news article https://www.eastvalleytribune.com/arizona/wild-hogs-spotted-in-4-arizona-counties/article_61c64b83-fe3d-5d13-87e3-ab069ec514e5.html ).

The population in most of the southwest are not the larger, more aggressive ones you’ll find in places like Texas, which are descendants of wild boars brought over from Europe for canned hunts.

4. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Those bears sure are dangerous, especially if you’re a closeted homophobe!

5. Ten Bears says:

Heh, heh, heh …

6. Wesley Sandel says:

Matt DAmon was telling a talk show host about taking his parents to Alaska. “I noticed that the guide had a .44 magnum with the hammer filled down strapped to his belt and asked him if this was so he could draw faster. He replied, “No, it’s to it won’t hurt so bad when the bear takes the gun away from me and shoves it up my ass.””