We’ve long known that for Republicans, the price of free speech is buying your own media outlet (Hi, Rupert!), but times are a-changing in the age of Social Media. So imagine our surprise to learn that the Coup Klux Klan are trying to shut-down social media in the Gret Stet of Floriduh.
The NYTimes tells us…
“Florida on Monday became the first state to regulate how companies like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter moderate speech online, by imposing fines on social media companies that permanently bar political candidates in the state.
“The law, signed by Gov. Ron DeSantis, is a direct response to Facebook’s and Twitter’s bans of former President Donald J. Trump in January.”
Our pals over at Electoral-Vote tell us:
The main provisions of the law are as follows:
- Removal of posts from large news outlets would be forbidden.
- Banning any candidate for any office being voted on by Floridians would be forbidden.
- Fines for violations of either of the two previous rules would range from $25,000 to $250,000 per day.
- Private citizens would be allowed to sue social media outlets that are “inconsistently” applying their content moderation rules.
- Companies are exempt from the law if they own a theme park or another type of entertainment venue bigger than 25 acres.
…and so you can see some of the legal problems right off the bat(shit)
- The definition of a news outlet, let alone the ward Large: Hello, Infowars!
- Banning any candidate for any office: Hello Hair Füror’s 2024 Goat Rodeo; also hello to any crank who files papers!
- Private Citizens? Hello millions of frivolous lawsuits from Possum Hollar taking up all the oxygen in the courts!
- Theme parks? Welcome to Twitterland Floriduh! Welcome to Facebook Funhouse Floriduh! They just gotta buy 30 acres of swamp and they are back in bidness!
This is a DeSantis stunt for an audience of one (and for his own 2024 Goat Rodeo ambitions to get Possum Hollar to eventually back him), so expect before the day is out that Lord Damp Nut will fire up the awesome power of his media platform (blog) and luxuriate in this nonsense.