‘May Your Potato Have Sex Like A Butterfly in an Airplane for Science’

(Hat tip: Scissorhead Purplehead, and yes, this is another palate cleanser, I guess? Discuss amongst yourselves in the comments!)

This entry was posted in Palate Cleansers. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to ‘May Your Potato Have Sex Like A Butterfly in an Airplane for Science’

1. Sirius Lunacy says:

I know a little German.

He’s sitting over there.

Sirius –

GROANNNNN… My dad told me that joke when I was a wee lad, cracked me up then and it does now.

Well done!

2. Jimmy T says:

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, and of course the mile high club is still a thing (although potatoes?). The young folks in the video were obviously somewhere in the stratosphere, an observation made by one who’s been there a few times.. The thing about youth is it’s wasted on the young. George Bernard Shaw and I say that with a certain amount of envy…

3. osirisopto says:

Gives new meaning to the word “potatohead”.

4. spotthedog says:

Geschlectsverhkehr ya’ll! See what great fun we could have been having if Hitler had won.

5. E.A. Blair says:

The everyday colloquial terms in German aren’t the tangled compounds depicted here. There are languages like Finnish and Hungarian which can put an entire sentence into just a couple words (or even one). In everyday German, a simple three-word sentence (in five syllables) translates into formal English as, “Would you please go and have sexual intercourse with yourself.”

What this video shows more significantly is the influence of Norman French on English, causing parts of its vocabulary to be more akin to Romance languages instead of its Germanic roots.

• Ivory Bill Woodpecker says:

If William The Conqueror had been William The Obscure Dead Failure Whom Only A Handful Of Scholars Remember instead, modern English would probably sound like a close cousin of modern Dutch.

• E.A. Blair says:

The closest language to Old English (or, if you prefer, Anglo-Saxon) is Old Frisian. Modern Frisian is spoken on the north coast of Germany east of Denmark and the western part of the Netherlands’ north coast. Prior to the immigration quota relaxation of 1066, Frisian and English were mutually intelligible, but both have been heavily influenced by contact with other languages. In the case of Frisian, by Dutch and German, and for English first by Old Norse, then Norman French and countless other languages. I did a research project on Old Frisian in the early years of my linguistics major.

• CalicoJack says:

Well, when you put it like that, nothing sounds silly or ridiculous.

Weg zu Freude töten

• MDavis says:

Quote (erm, paraphrase) heard in “Ball of Fire”
      Slang is the language that spits on its hands and gets to work.

6. CalicoJack says:

Proving that Mark Twain was right all along…

7. glitterbug says:

I studied a lot of German and lots of words actually match.

I think the biggest outlier was poison. The German word for it is “Gift”.

The word for gift is “Geschenk”.