CBS Amplifies GOP Wedge Issue

Our Failed Political Press

This is really stupid, CBS:

Cancel culture, a new wedge issue

In 1987, Al Campanis, a vice president of the Los Angeles Dodgers, appeared on ABC News’ “Nightline,” and made some deeply offensive remarks about why there weren’t more Black managers in baseball. “No, I don’t believe it’s prejudice. I truly believe that they may not have some of the, uh, necessities,” Campanis said.

Two days later, he was fired. We might say he was “canceled.”

And rightfully so. That was as racist as all-eff.

Fair Warning: Both Sides ahead!

“Sunday Morning” senior contributor Ted Koppel says “cancel culture,” as it’s called these days, is a social weapon that has served the outrage of both the left (“When you cross that kind of societal norm, you must pay the consequences”), and the right (“Don’t support Major League Baseball, whose players actually kneel for the National Anthem”).

Um, I don’t see a Both Sides there, I see the Right boycotting Baseball because the players took a stand against violence against Black people.

And then they go into Dr. Seuss territory as alleged examples of the Left cancelling something, when in fact the publishers of the Seuss stuff decided to pull some books from their lists, which is something publishers do all the time.

Fox News’ Sean Hannity offered his viewers a handy reference guide: “They want to cancel, let’s see, Dr. Seuss, Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head, Pepe le Pew…”

“They?” You know, the left, the Squad, the “woke crowd.” Laura Ingraham described adherents of cancel culture as “liberals successfully [purging] almost all conservatives from academia, the entertainment industry, and journalism.”

The thing that is so infuriating is that being fired for spouting off racist statements is called Consequences where I come from. No one is stopping you from expressing yourself, so have at it. Just don’t be surprised at what happens next.

[True story: when I was a wee lad in grammar school, we had some distant relatives from Texas in town for Brunch. The grown-ups decided to watch a football game, and I trotted in after them. Something happened on the field and one of the Texans exclaimed, “Did you see what that n***** did to our colored boy?!” – and I was bum-rushed out of the room to the backyard by my mom, and when I was let back in the house, the teevee was off, the Texans were gone and never seen again; my dad gave me the talk about the importance of language. Consequences happen. Even back then.]

Ingraham herself weathered a boycott from her racist diatribes, but she still said what she said. She can say she was cancelled, but she’s still employed. Ask Colin Kaepernick about his career:

In 2016, 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the National Anthem to protest police violence against blacks. He told a press conference, “I’ll going to continue to stand with the people that are being oppressed. This is something that has to change.”

He expressed his sentiment in a 2018 Nike commercial: Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.”

Canceled? Kaepernick never played professional football again.

The Right cancelled Kaepernick.

This entry was posted in Both Sides, CBS, media, Our Failed Political Press. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to CBS Amplifies GOP Wedge Issue

1. purplehead says:

This snippet of LaVar Burton gently smacking down Megan McCain’s toolishness, would be appropriate here.

(Via PZMyers)

2. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Kudos to your parents. I really don’t get the appeal of racism and misogyny. We all get one chance at this life thing, none of us gets out of here alive… why make things worse for anyone else? Yeah, I know, people hate being weak, and mistake cruelty for strength.

3. RWW says:

Mr. Putin is something of a hero to all these rightwing freaks who constantly howl about ‘cancel culture’. Maybe CBS should interview Alexi Navalny about what real ‘cancel culture’ is while he’s still breathing. It’s also practiced against journalists whose ‘cancellation’ often involves ending up in a grave.

4. Wesley Sandel says:

What the white trash means by “cancel culture” is “My racism and opposition to democracy are just alternative opinions and deserve to be respected.”

• MDavis says:

That’s part of the pair.
      “My racism deserves respect.
      Your calls for fairness deserve to be smacked down without mercy.”

5. MDavis says:

Good story, by the way. Hubby told me that some black players who were drafted into certain Texas NFL teams eventually went public with the intimidation factor of moving into a community where it was common for locals to drive around with a rope conspicuously visible in their vehicles. No need for dog-whistles in that kind of environment.

6. vonBeavis says:

This is a very good post with the anecdote about Texas football. My dad sometimes took us to visit his WW2 friends. At 16, having lied about his age to join his siblings in battle, he was likely the youngest member of his destroyer escort’s crew, with duties such as manning the searchlight in battle and running the geedunk–his name for being in charge of the available junk food snacks onboard, plus “other duties as assigned.” Some of the war buddies he made were the Black sailors, also living in the L.A. area.

Back to topic: good story.

7. David Pickering says:

Ted Koppel has always been a hack. My father went to his grave convinced Koppel’s nightly flogging of the Iran hostage story helped Reagan defeat Jimmy Carter in 1980.

• Bruce388 says:

Walter Cronkite used to end his nightly broadcast with the number of days the hostages had been held.

Flogging the hostage story was a team effort.

8. Pingback: CBS Amplifies Right-Wing ‘Cancel Culture’ As ‘Wedge’ Issue – politics-99.com