A Toast To A Life Well-Lived: Scissorhead Dennis Cole

Dennis Cole two years ago…

Scissorheads,

As you know we Irish have a different perspective on Death. We know we will go to the Good Place and it is the good place because there won’t be any English* there, or so me blessed Irish Dad used to say.

And that’s why we have wakes: because were happy that the deceased got away from the English*.  [“The lucky bastards” – me Irish Dad, again.]

We Irish love a good party, too, and Dennis would be mad as all hell to miss his own wake, so he decided to hold it while he is still with us, above ground.

Dennis came roaring into MPS like Steve McQueen in a Mustang in SF, revving with comments profound, profane and funny. His spitballs were high octane, fast & furious, and if I can think of another car metaphor Id include it. But the point is, this Scissorhead was running on all cylinders. DC (the Meme KING! and Pun-Dit) will be missed.

What follows is from Dennis and reflects what he wants us to know.

We will be keeping this post up on top this week to make sure all the Scissorheads get the news and have a chance to say goodbye in the comments.

Be sure to hoist the beverage of your choice and toast our friend on his journey away from the English*.

Regards,

Tengrain

*  I suggest substituting “Republican” for “English,” but you do you.

My Fellow Scissorheads:

The time has come to speak of things; of ceiling wax and the Estate Tax, of being lax, unlike birds on the wing. Of speaking out, instead of just peeking out, to see if the coast is clear.

Of standing up, and shouting loudly, proclaim who you are, and say so proudly. Of chicken bones, and sacred stones, and coins that won’t get tossed. But never fear, for Karma’s here, our causes must surely not be lost.

Folks, the sad fact of the matter is I’m finally dying. As in, the final stages of my CHF – Congestive Heart Failure. MY EF (Ejection fraction, that final strong pulse of the L Ventricle to send the blood that nourishes my organs, and keep them supplied with enough oxygen, is down to 20% or so, and I’m undergoing what they say is “Cascading Organ Failure.” My kidneys are at Stage 3, which means if I drop into Stage 4, I will need regular Dialysis treatments, and I only have about a half a liver these days, although my spleen and pancreas seem to be holding in there OK.

The Hospice organization I chose has done remarkable, extraordinary things, and they seem to make shit happen with just a phone call to get a Dr’s OK, and then to place the order, and have it arrive only a coupla hours later

And I have no expected day to die, they can’t pin it down, so they have to rely on past instances, since everyone’s different. All they can go by are my current symptoms, compared to what previous patients have gone thru, and they estimated I had 6 months left back on Feb 25th. So, I just wanted to say it’s not quite a final farewell, but it’s imminent. One day, in the next 6 months or so, I’ll just drop off of your screens, never to be heard from again, so this way, you’ll know what happened to me, and why.

And I must say it’s been an honor and a privilege to be amongst such folks as think alike, and much as I do. It’s been a pleasure, and we don’t all get along all the time but we keep it civilized.

Which brings up Facebook. I know how most of you feel about FB, but it’s mostly due to bad experiences with unwelcome strangers; coz if you got disgusted by some of your friend’s bad behavior, that has rarely happened to me, and I’ve gotten a lot of enjoyment out of daily use. I have a very select group of friends, and we all share common interests, much like here, on MPS.

I have used it to connect with old friends, as well as make new ones; I belong to a chat room adminned by a polymath in Sweden, I’m friends with a neurologist in Hong Kong, and I have friends in Australia the UK, Ireland and Scotland – all over the world.

What I do mainly is just post political ‘toons and memes, or just plain witty stuff, and I borrow heavily from Scottie’s daily morning ‘toon-fest, along with other boggers and blogesses, and from my own subscriptions.

And without FB, I would never have been able to create something by collaborating with some dude, who requested my friendship a coupla years back. I checked out HIS Page, and was amazed by what I saw; after you watch the presentation he made for me, in only a day-and-a-half*, I’d urge you to check his Home Page out. It’s NOT on FB, he has his own website, so hear goes: (pun intended.)

DENNIS COLE’S SONG

Click the image to go to the post and hear the song.

Nobody knows da troubles I’ve seen,
And nobody’s seen the bad places I’ve been;
Done lived me a lifetime of fool’ry and sin,
Now look at the trouble I’m in.Now that you know the trouble I’m in,
Is there anything I’d do over again?
My life as it happened
I just can’t rearrange
But there’s nothing that I would changeAnd nobody knows the beauty I’ve seen:
Sunrise and sunsets, and what’s in between;
Storm clouds or stars, all thru the nite
But so often in them I took no delight.

Nobody knows da troubles I’ve seen,
And nobody’s seen the bad places I’ve been;
Done lived me a lifetime of fool’ry and sin,
Now look at the trouble I’m in.

Once again, it’s been maaaahhvelous, dollinks. I’m totally at peace, I’m all but ready to go, after 25 years of Chronic Pain that could only be marginally reduced with the use of the strongest opioids they could render, which was never enough to actually eliminate the pain, or get it down to under 5 on the Pain Scale of 1 – 10, with one being lowest.
Now that I’m under Hospice Care, they WANT me doped up sufficiently enough to reduce the level down that low, while monitoring me, to ensure I can still function. The next increase they give me will mean surrendering my driver’s license, but by then my son will be taking the Family Medical leave from his job, to spend more time with me, because I will be good & doped up – at least as much as I wanna be, because my tolerances have built up to such high levels that they’re going to have to make a double-strength formula of the drugs they give me to end my life.

It’s NOT considered suicide, it’s a humane way out of a life filled with pain, that’s only going to get worse. I DON’T want to get so bad they put me in a Senior Home, or warehouse me in an Assisted Living Center, because I won’t be able to invoke my right to ease out, and I would have to check out, and get checked into a motel, to complete the process.

I’ve lived a pretty full life in 67 years; I did the kind of work I loved – home building & remodeling, mostly for the instant gratification, of seeing a project come to fruition via the use of my own hands, and the knowledge I gained in the 35 yrs or so I worked in that occupation. It was dirty, hard, sweaty work but I loved it!

Hoping the door don’t slap my ass too hard, I remain forever an incorrigible spitballer, and a proud member of MPS.

Over and out, keep calm, carry on, and remain wary, and hoist one in my memory, if you care to…

Dennis Cole

…and Dennis Cole today.

This entry was posted in Goodbye, Scissorheads Rule. Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to A Toast To A Life Well-Lived: Scissorhead Dennis Cole

1. donnah says:

Dennis, I’ve popped in here from time to time and have always enjoyed your comments and insights. You’ve weathered quite a lot and kept your sense of humor and your dignity and your wisdom. You’re a complete stranger, yet you’re not, because you’ve shared yourself with so many of us.

Go in peace, and thank you for sharing.

• Dennis Cole says:

Donnah – thanks for the kind words. ‘Grain has my email addy, as well as my phone #, and I give you permission to write or call, as I’ve been isolating since before isolating was cool. A voice I can pair to the presence on the screen would be good, also

2. purplehead says:

It’s hard to know what to say when words can’t seem to attach to thoughts, other than what a wonderful person you are. Keeping your humour on the top of all your horrible pain is a real gift. Your comments here are so much fun and pointed. We are blessed to have you and them.

3. Czippie L'Shimp says:

MPS is my favorite stop on the internet. Tengrain is a wonderful host, but the guests are what make this a party. I truly enjoy all of you, and look forward to the conversations, serious and snarky, that spring from the truth spoken by our host.

Dennis is a stalwart. His opinions are strong, and uncompromising, but at the same time deeply empathetic and pro-social. Now, learning a bit about him, my respect for his humanity and ability to use humor to disarm and make a point, has grown.

It has been an honor, Dennis. I wish for comfort and the joy of family and friends in your journey to the exit. Thank you, and farewell.

4. sos says:

Dennis,
    May your head be full of music and your heart be full of song.
    hoist one in my memory – No worries mate!

5. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

This hurts, the world needs more people with foul mouths and fair minds.

As luck would have it, I just purchased a bottle of Sexton Irish single malt whiskey yesterday, so I am well equipped for a wake. Slán Agus Beannacht Go Deo, Dennis.

6. osirisopto says:

A glass of wine a pint of beer all my best to you, in good cheer.

A day a week a month a year.

This rounds on me. I’ll miss you.

7. Dennis Cole says:

4B – I plan on being in Paradise, among lush, rolling, verdant hills, surrounded b mossy oaks, on my favorite isle, one step ahead of the Nac Mac Feegle, those sly, sneaky bastids.

8. Dennis Cole says:

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!

Another warm, fuzzy, feel-good story about FB. Well, MY FB and friends, anyhow. One is the musician I linked to here a while back, and he calls himself “Blind Lemon Pledge,” and you can hear samples of his stuff, and buy a CD if you care to on YouTube, but I met him a few years back, and we share the same wicked sense of humor, and hunger for snark.

Anyway, I invited him to the Irish Wake/Italian Banquet/Memorial and Remembrance of Times Past, and Missing companions, and he offered to bring his band, so of course I said yes. And today, (4/20,) they’re going to do a private backyard concert in my own backyard! I’m putting a Feast on the Weber, and a few friends who are coming will bring some sides.

Plus, he’s going to perform his own version of my funeral dirge. FB is not all bad, and it’s been a lot of years since anyone harassed me or trolled me for more than 2 minutes. How many people have a poem/dirge/lament set to music by 2 different musicians? Both of who found me on FB.

9. laura says:

Dennis Cole – I wish you an intimate and comfortable wind down filled with love and music family and companion animals candle light and gentle breezes. And until that hour of departure, I wish you all the opportunities to weigh in and rage or delight as the circumstances warrant.
    You’re a good man with a broken down heart that despite being broken down is still “in the right place.”

10. NorKid says:

Dennis, just a avid reader\sometime commenter here in Norway. It’s getting to be that time of life for all of us, either directly or indirectly. I don’t think it’s easy either way…

Take Good Care, I applaud your honesty and bravery. I can only hope to go with such dignity as you and I will definitely look for you among the wee free men, I’m sure you’ll be their next leader (even if you don’t have red hair…)
    Skål!

11. Boris says:

Well, fuck.

I don’t comment a lot, but do read the comments daily since they are hilariously spot on force multipliers for 10G’s posts. Certainly your contributions have always been and will be greatly missed.

I’ll knock back a tipple or three in your honor, sir.

12. ming says:

Dennis,
    Selfishly I’m going miss your sense of humor and take on everything from music to politics. Peace brother. I admire a good exit and I’m planning to bring bourbon and some rockabilly to the wake.

13. robginchicago says:

Dennis, being able to check out on your own terms is itself a blessing. An abundance of memories and few regrets definitely puts you in the “wins!” side of the ledger. You are surrounded by your virtual friends at MPS, and by your family in your physical presence. There is no greater virtue or treasure than being well thought of. Peace out, brother.

14. w3ski4me says:

Not much I can say to that, my friend. It’s been a pleasure, that’s for sure. I don’t drink much anymore, but I will surely hold up a brew and a bowl to you. Now, and then as well. I admire your acceptance and peace about it all, I will try to be the same when my time comes.
    I wish you continuing peace.
    Drop back around and throw another spitball here, anytime.
    w3ski

15. R White says:

Dennis – As others have noted, I too start everyday by dropping in on MPS to get a sense of which way the political winds are blowing and how like-minded people like myself make fun of our supposed ‘leaders’ and their obvious missteps.

You are part of that small group of commenters here that always has something to say that is profound, yet witty. A foul mouth reasoned with a fair mind that has experienced so much. Comments that give me reassurance that things are not that bad.

I normally don’t comment about my personal health, but I too have fallen into bad health recently, specifically end stage of chronic kidney disease. I’ve been on peritoneal dialysis daily since 10/19 and have luckily been on a waiting list for a transplant. So, if you unfortunately get to that stage and need some feedback regarding the good, the bad and ugly of dialysis (which are usually the weird side effects they never tell you about), i would be honored to give you my feedback.

Take care and thanks for sharing.

• ming says:

RW – I have my fingers crossed for the right donor to come through. My dad was one of the lucky ones, a 16-year transplant survivor. Keep the faith.

• Dennis Cole says:

I don’t want to get to that stage, as I’m already at stage 3, and stage 4 means dialysis, but for now, I’m considered “Stable, and Improving in some areas, controlled by meds.” It’s why I chose the Physician-assisted EOL, and you’re not gonna believe this, but the first 2 drugs I’m meant to take, to relax me in preparation for “The Milkshake” came in the mail today, right in the middle of my private concert. And a band member’s wife is a retired nurse, so we had some great conversations, about how lucky I am, to have friends like this, that I’ve only met and interacted with,on FB.

I was so busy cooking on the Weber, I barely had a chance to shoot any video, but I got some great still shots.

AND HE PLAYED HIS VERSION OF MY “DIRGE,” and it was amazing. And Blind Lemon himself said, “Yeah, if it makes as much money as all my other songs, we got us a winner, a chart-topper, lol.”

R White –

I’m sorry to hear this news. I hope you get a match and soon!

16. I am invariably struck dumb and stupid by moments like these (as witness, this is like the 14th different version of this comment I’ve started.)

So I’ll keep it simple

Go in Love and Light, brother. I’ll miss you!

17. Weird Dave says:

Fare Thee Well Sir.

You will be missed.

18. moeman says:

Wine, MPS and song and Dennis Cole!

Brother, like many I check in everyday and when I see you name pop up, I know I’m either gonna laugh or be wiser for reading your thoughtful posts.

I’ll admit that this message truly saddens me but how you have coped and how you see your life and it’s condition makes me a better human for knowing you, if only virtually.

Be at peace mon ami and know that there is much love for you.

~ moe

19. ali redford says:

Cheers, Dennis; thanks for all the laughs and motivation. Rest in peace and comfort!

20. spotthedog says:

Dennis, in the short time I’ve been hanging out here your postings have been a constant source of entertainment, enlightenment, food for thought, and often simply just fun to read. Your character and personality showed through quite clearly, always leaving me with the feeling of “I would like to be friends with this guy”. If I get to my end having achieved half the friendships and affect on others that you have I would be quite satisfied. And Dang it, wish I’d known you were a builder/remodeler, you could have made some money off me for sure!

Anyway its a very memorable pleasure to have crossed paths with you, even just online. Bravo sir!
    Your friend, Greg

• Dennis Cole says:

BDR – you’ve always been a stalwart opponent, er, component, of this here conclave, and I have always had thoughts aroused, and different perspectives gained by your wit, and acerbic comments.
      At times, it almost felt like dueling verbally, but we both seem to emerge every time with nary a scratch. So – no harm, no foul.

And yesterday’s party went off without a hitch – just me and one guest, 4 band members and one brought his wife, so it WAS a very private concert. I was too busy cooking to get any worthwhile video, but I do have a coupla still pics I’ll send ‘Grains way.

21. mr perfect says:

Dear Dennis: Infrequent poster from north of the 49th who would like to thank you for your snark and wit that graced Tengrain’s blog for all these years. I hope to be half as brave as you when my time comes. I’ll leave you with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7g3RuoreRc

Good journeys

22. beckymaenot says:

Ah DC, one of my favorites in the comments section. I am so fucking bummed at the thought of you leaving us. I have admired your wit and your foul mouth. Now I also admire your courage and dignity. As many have said further up in this thread- I come to MPS every day for a dose of sanity, snark and the fellowship of the scissorheads. I’ve said it a dozen times- scissorheads never disappoint. You, Dennis, are always a welcome sight when I slide into the comments. I’ll miss you. Go in peace and light. I hope your afterlife is nothing but comfort- full of the love of friends past and present.

23. I love you, Dennis, you’re an awesome soul. (((hug)))

24. artahzen says:

You will be sorely missed here and anywhere your wit and humor appear. I wish you peace as you send your electricity back to the cosmic pool. Who knows the places it will go.

25. pagan in repose says:

“In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida” man. With a round of “Joy to the world”. Music is joy, may it always be your companion.

26. Bruce388 says:

It won’t be the same around here without you, Dennis.

You will be missed.

27. julesmomcat says:

Dennis – with your verbal skills, have you composed you own obituary? ‘Twould be nice to have the local rag print the summary of your life as you want it to read, not as someone else supposes it to be. Just a thought, from one who has already done hers, for future reference. Give a copy to those close to you, so they can submit it for publication.

• Dennis Cole says:

jules – I thought about it, but upon inquiring, I found it’s WAY expensive, just to have my name listed with no pic, so I decided to slip away unannounced, although I DO get to choose the day, when I’m certain it’s the right time, so I will send off a last, final email to “Grain, so he can make the announcement.

28. skinnydennis says:

Place won’t be the same with one less Dennis. Honored to be a fellow scissorhead. Always enjoyed your posts. Will miss them. And you.

29. MDavis says:

It’s a rare privilege to have the chance to let a friend know how much you care about them and how much you appreciate what they share with you. And here I am, with the plentiful warning you have given us from time to time, and I’m (mostly) speechless.
    May your bridge have rainbows and boon companions.
    I know I’ll be looking for you and your comments for, well, forever. Don’t have to make no rational sense.

30. Rest easy, brother. You have been and continue to be an inspiration.

31. Sorry to see you go. Happy trails, brother.

32. dixiechiken says:

Light and love to you and your family, good Sir. You will be missed.

33. quakerinabasement says:

We’re a small group here and every one of us will feel your absence. Thanks for all the laughs. We’ll raise a glass in parting and we’ll see you again in the bye and bye. Sweet peace to ya.

34. revzafod says:

Damn! I’m sure gonna miss Dennis around here. I got an email that he gave me a like on a comment at 9:20 last night, so this sorta hits like a 2X4 upside my head. Back to my vodka/tonic and I’ll hoist all the rest tonight to Dennis.

35. Steve-O says:

Read this on the morning and still can’t process. But…. Dennis… You need to leave behind a BUNCH of snarky comments to be posted when appropriate.
    Go easy, Bud, or go go with a smile on your face and rebellion in your heart.
    Drinking a wee bit of Irish now to you, and hope I don’t drink to your memory until you’re ready.

36. Jimmy T says:

Your in the end game now brother. Words of my Grandfather drifted back to me after all these years. On his deathbed he said, “It all happened so fast.” Didn’t understand it for years, then suddenly I did. Aging is a curious thing, funny how the older you get the years pass by faster and faster. I’m in my early seventies, and am fairly healthy, but I know, as we all do, that Mr. D has the last dance. Destiny, fate, or circle of life it’s unavoidable. I’m hoping you get the final dance in the End Zone, as I hope the same for myself. Didn’t get to know you that well for the limited time I’ve been at MPS, but I clearly understand your influence here. Most of us have never met you in person, but we know you just the same, as a standing member of the greater MPS family. Thank you for that…

37. Meremark says:

Hand, moved: Ya’ big galoot. Call your shot. Such a large load you shoulder.
    What have you lifted?

and in the end
    the love you take

is equal to the love you make

38. Redhand says:

Well, FOOK! I am 71 and it always bums the hell out of me to see that the fates are cutting the string on someone who’s a part of my life in some way, earlier than for me. You are such an acerbic and strong voice in this small but strong community that your passing will be a blow — no way to avoid that, and yet it really, really sucks.

Tengrain busts us on Saturdays with catty references to the philosophical and artistic works we must be reading, and with his call that we turn our “high-minded” endeavors to the lesser links he offers us. Well, dammit, Tengrain, some of us actually read that philosophical shite, to, to, get by.

For Denis let me offer this from Lucretius, which is the best quote Dr. Goodle serves up to me on short notice.

Why shed tears that you must die? For if your past life has been one of enjoyment, and if all your pleasures have not passed through your mind, as through a sieve, and vanished, leaving not a rack behind, why then do you not, like a thankful guest, rise cheerfully from life’s feast, and with a quiet mind go take your rest.

I’m going to finally read de rerum natura (“On the Nature of Things”) in its entirety to track done a quote from the work that I remember from high school Latin class way back in, uh, 1967. It sticks in my mind to this day, though I have never found the damn thing in print since. My promise to you is to find it because it fits your situation so well:

Weep not for me, for I live in the hearts and minds of men [and women].”

You don’t need to take my word for it, Denis. Look at all the comments in this string!

Ave atque vale, Brother. Catullus 101

39. Ava Middleton says:

Bless you.
    I hope I can have half as much calm and peace at the end of my days as you.
    Know that you had friends here.
    Thanks, Dennis.

40. Mary Ellen Sandahl says:

Dear Dennis – I have been cudgeling my brain for the last day or so, trying to decide what’s good to say in response to your fierce, wonderful, funny, generous sharing with us. I haven’t come up with much.. This great group has come back to you with so many good things, it seems hard not to end up writing “What they said!”
    I admire you more than I know how to say. Not alone for your spirited and philosophical stance in the universal – but always so personal – face-off against Time and happenstance, but also for the life you built for yourself. Those rambunctious tats swirling along your muscular carpenter’s arms say a lot about that!
    I want say Thanks for the several times you’ve liked a comment of mine. That always made me fee pretty chuffed with myself. 🙂 You’re such a gifted thinker and commenter, not to mention having your heart and mind solidly on the side of the better angels, that it felt an honor to have written something you wanted to chime in on.
    I wish the WASPy/Scandihoofian tradition I was raised in had something like the positive attitude about the Hereafter that the Irish does. Caesar said that the continental Celts were so convinced that this cycle’s end was a doorway to a new life that they placed bets at the end, or before going to battle, confident of being seen right on the other side. It’s a great way to go forward. You’re going to be missed a lot by us all, but here’s to you: slainte and skol, too:

• Dennis Cole says:

Mary Ellen – I hate to break it to you, but those are NOT tats, if you’re referring to the purple blotches on my arms. It’s called “mottling,” and is a significant indicator that my time grows short. All the tiny blood cells and miniscule veins in that area are no longer receiving a sufficient supply of blood, so instead of circulating, (my heart’s just to weak,) they pretty much wither & die, and it’s caused by how easily I bruise, but then my circulatory system can’t remove it anymore.

And I knows you bunch, you’ll remember this: “If you’re looking for sympathy you’ll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.” ― David Sedaris, Barrel Fever: Stories and Essays. Word.

And even IF the hookers & blow happened so long ago, that wasn’t really the deciding factor, although I knew at the time there would come a day of reckoning; it’s a jigsaw puzzle of that, genetics, whisky & cigarettes, lotsa of good steaks, like well-marbled Rib Eyes and many, many greaseburgers, and it all accumulated in a “Perfect Storm” of clogged arteries, and severe cardiac issues as a result.

But then, I was always about quality, over quantity, so there were no ugly hookers, and only one at a time.

• spotthedog says:

“I was always about quality, over quantity, so there were no ugly hookers, and only one at a time.” – man you crack me up, hilarious!!!

• Redhand says:

What a paragraph!

• You know, after I’d written that, I had a sinking suspicion that this might be the case. The areas are so symmetrical, I was led astray. Anyway, boy, you’ve still got strong-looking arms: the wages of work! As for the rest – the beautiful lades of the evening and uncontrolled substances, the 120-proof living – you’re in the company of some notable poets and artists and musicians there. They’d dig your description

• the thing I thought, was that looks like what Moscow Mitch was displaying not too long ago. Which explains some of his more recent statements….

• Redhand says:

@Mary Ellen Sandahl

Indeed they would!

41. Stony Pillow says:

I’ve lost two good friends to CHF. One was a Catholic priest, the other a devout Hindu. They both had to let the beast drag them all the way down. You’re making the right decision.

Thanks for the wit, the snark, and the insight. You’ll be missed. And I’ll raise a glass in your memory.

42. ming says:

Dennis – who is your friend on your shoulder in the picture at the top?

• Dennis Cole says:

ming – that there was “Trixie McZoomer,”a stray I rescued. Sadly, I let her outside to roam, as she loved to do, but would always come running home when I called, and she just never returned. I searched for remains, I posted flyers all over, but to no avial.
      At first, I was tempted to get another kitteh, but during my search, I found a place that rescues sick, dying, or with special needs, so I volunteered to go in 2 or 3 times week, and give them all (50 +)! and give them all loves.

And then the Virus struck, and visits were out, and then I found out m condition was worsening, and I didn’t want to leave a cat behind, so I’ve been kitteh-less ever since.

• So sorry. We had a long term indoor/outdoor kitteh, Toby, who happened the same way. We live in a relatively busy neighborhood, so vehicular passing is possible; but we are also near a wildwood park and river, where coyotes are known to roam, so that is also a possibility.

43. Oneofthebobs says:

Dennis, I don’t know you, but didn’t I used to see you on my early morning walk in Cloverdale? Is the world that small? I’ll miss you here in this alternate reality.

• Dennis Cole says:

Oneof thebobs – I lived in Cloverdale around 40 years ago, so I doubt it. But if you live close to Santa Rosa, I’m holding my Wake/Italian Banquet/Remembrance and Celebration of Life on Sat., May 15th, from 1 till 5, at the Union Hotel on Mission Blvd., and I’d like to invite you to drop on by, and I’ll buy you a drink.

44. Dave Utrata aka heydave says:

I’m guessing these are tears of joy; they must be, right?
    Take care friend and see you down the road.

45. Batman 54 says:

Thank you Dennis, for all the good shots you have landed here.
    We will all join you in a while.
    When my time comes, I hope I can handle it as well as you are.
    Best to you.

46. Richard Portman says:

Hey you helped us. That will always be good.

47. CalicoJack says:

Howdy Dennis!

It seems too short of a time that I’ve known you here on MPS. During the last years of the Hair Furor’s rule, you helped make it more tolerable, so job well done, and a life well lived. Let us celebrate the renewal of our country and the continuing struggle against the forces of darkness. I’m so glad you are at peace with your situation and am amazed that you can talk about it so matter-of-factly. Thank you for doing this so publicly and personally. Once again, you’ve made my life better even if it is sadder. I’ll miss you here but am so thankful that we’ve had time together and can now grieve together.

Huzzah!
    Jack

48. Thank you Dennis, for establishing such a high bar for facing the passing from this world to whatever’s next with such grace and humor.

• Dennis Cole says:

Z – their first confirmed diagnosis was back in 2014, and they told me then that my life expectancy was around 2 years, “…more or less.”

49. DAstronomer says:

Thank you Dennis, for all the laughs. You and my dad are similar: hard-working construction guys who love building and rebuilding houses, trolling conservatives, have an incredible pain tolerance, and whose bodies are giving out long before their minds do.
    I’m sorry that you got dealt this hand, but I am so very glad that you get to spend your last weeks in less pain. I’m thankful that you also got to see the end of Drumpf’s Reign of Error, but I dearly wish it hadn’t been a year of COVID lockdowns before that particular end.
    Any chance your son can smuggle in a kitten? Just tell the staff it’s your semi-autonomous smol heating pad — they might overlook that infraction.
    Your memory is a blessing to all, and your dirty jokes a joy. I hope I can face my own inevitable doom with as much grace and class as you have.

• Dennis Cole says:

DA – The whole purpose of Hospice Care is to keep the patient at home, with 24/7 availability, and to keep me as comfortable and in low pain-levels as possible. So I wouldn’t need to “smuggle” a kitteh into my home; the fact of the matter is, I can barely take care of myself, let alone a pet, and what would happen to it when I die? It would just be another headache for my kids to handle, after my passing.

As much as I would love to have a kitteh companion, I just can’t do it. I hope you understand, because going to that cat rescue place relieved my cravings for feline fondness, and I plan on going back and volunteer my time. And it’s time WELL spent, judging by the endorphins I feel when I do that.

• Dennis Cole says: