Yesterday the Coup Klux Clan (Hi Gov. Kemp!) who run the state of Georgeduh finished ramming through changes to Georgia election laws, which:
- establishes strict voter ID requirements
- reduces the number of drop boxes for absentee ballots
- cuts down on early voting
- gives themselves the power to step in and override local election officials
- cuts the time period voters have to request absentee ballots
- makes it easier for state officials to take over local elections boards
- allows challenges to voting eligibility
- criminalizes any attempt to approach voters in line, even if only to give them food or water
- “[R]eplace the elected secretary of state as the chair of the state election board with a new appointee of the legislature after Republican Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger rebuffed [former President] Trump’s attempts to overturn Georgia’s election results”
…and thus does put H.R. 1 and S. 1 squarely in the spotlight as being needed. Republican lawmakers have proposed at least 253(!) new laws to restrict voting access in 43 states across the country.
It also makes eliminating the filibuster as the #1 method to do it, and this of course makes obvious liar amply be-chinned Moscow Mitch’s assertion that the Filibuster has a noble history and nuthin’ to do with Jim Crow into an obvious lie.
Senators. Angus King, Manchin, Sinema were all playing some sort of Kabuki theater about preserving it, but this new development just put them in the spotlight as being for Jim Crow 2 if they don’t act. That’s not a place one wants to be.
UPDATE 1: Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH) said she’s against eliminating the filibuster, and Sen. Maggie Hassan (D-NH) said she has concerns, like a common Susan Collins.