The Legal Mind of Sen. John Kennedy

Guns, Inc.

The Pride of Oxford University (the real one, in the UK, where he graduated with honors) Sen. John Kennedy (R – NRA) gives us a tortured analogy against regulating guns:

I guess ol’ John forgot that in order to drive on the public roads drunk or sober, one must:

• pass a test to get a license to drive
  • register the car
  • buy insurance

Scissorhead BruceTheDesertRat adds:

• Heavily regulate sales of liquor, and ban private sales outright.
  • People who knowingly over-serve someone (even in a private home) can be sued for the damages
  • Routinely erect mass traffic stops to identify and arrest drunk drivers
  • Police can stop and question you if they think you’re driving impaired

…but other than that, good analogy, Mattlock! Thanks for making our point for us.

(And sorry for including the Ayatollah Ted outburst, it couldn’t be helped. Twitter is determined to do tourism spots for Cancun. )

This entry was posted in Ammosexuals, Gundamentalists, Guns! Guns! Guns!, NRA. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to The Legal Mind of Sen. John Kennedy

1. You forgot:

Heavily regulate sales of liquor, and ban private sales outright.
    Routinely erect mass traffic stops to identify and arrest drunk drivers
    Police can stop and question you if they think you’re driving impaired

I could go on.

Sadly their answer is aways HuRr DuRr! DrIvInG Is NoT a RiGhT!!

2. lofgren says:

Look, these shooters were just trying to get home after a night out with the boys, and those poor masseuses just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. It would be completely inappropriate to change the laws to try to prevent this from happening again when obviously nobody could have foreseen it beforehand, seeing as nobody has ever driven drunk before. The appropriate reaction if you see a drunk driver is to ram their car as hard as you can with your car. I think all the Real Americans know this.

3. Sirius Lunacy says:

4. Jimmy T says:

Tots & Pears good people. Tots and Pears. I at long last get to post my separated at birth photo of the Zodiac killer and the other guy…

• ali redford says:

I’ve seen this one before, and it’s kinda cool, though I think I recall that Grandpa was a good deal smarter than Sen. Cruz. That said, I recall when Al Lewis died; he was a big ol’ liberal! (Progressive; pick your term.) https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5189733
      Anyway, I wanted to toss that out about dear ol’ Grandpa, who I bet would starve before he bit Ted Cruz… 😉

• Al Lewis was a mensch.

• Jimmy T says:

I really liked the Munsters. One my favs from that era. What I remember most about Al Lewis was that he was a union organizer. As it happened he was also a circus performer, who went on to earn a PHD in child psychology from Columbia University. Probably was sharp to the very end, and obviously had a biting sense of humor…

5. Ellis Weiner says:

…and, as always, the right-wing has difficulty with the idea of consent and its related terms, compulsion and accident.

Drunk drivers kill people by accident. Mass shooters do it deliberately.

Oh, and the purpose of cars–call me old-fashioned–is to provide transportation. The purpose of guns is to kill people.

6. xpldagain says:

Great idea! Require gun insurance. Let the private sector evaluate the risk and withhold the privilege when they choose.

Imma sonufalawyer, and so I always think about liability and insurance. It’s weird how that was drummed into my brain as a wee lad.

7. Ten Bears says:

The purpose of cars is to provide transportation. While *pass a test to get a license to drive, *register the car, *buy insurance, *etc. are required, they are not necessary. Important distinction. This notion that driving, in this day and age, in this society, is somehow some kind of optional privilege need be laid to rest. Transportation is a necessity, and where public transportation is unavailable (most of the fucking country) and walking’s not an option (most of the fucking country) people are going to do what’s necessary regardless of “requirements”, public perceptions or whither or no they have a gold-star stuck up their ass. Just to clarify.

Don’t fall off that horse …

8. Pingback: Sen. Kennedy Preaches To The Choir! | Mock Paper Scissors