Midday Palate Cleanser

Gah! Look at that big jerk chasing those guys!

This entry was posted in Birds Are Jerks, Palate Cleansers. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Midday Palate Cleanser

1. Wesley Sandel says:

I think he’s just running for the joy of it.

2. Jimmy T says:

My wife Cindy T used to make bird food for the neighborhood flyers. She used molasses as a secret ingredient. Got me to thinking what do they make out of the rest of the mole?

3. ming says:

I’ve ridden that road – South Africa somewhere between Camps Bay and Noordhoek. It’s down by the Cape of Good Hope. Quiet smooth pavement by the sea that rolls along sea cliff and flats. Oooo-la-la! If there is better pavement in the world, I’ve not found it. I never got chased by an ostrich, but the baboons were always a concern. Getting Ko’d by a Hartebeast is another thing that can happen down there as well.

And, South Africa isn’t the only place with aggressive wildlife. Australian Magpies are famously ferocious. I’ve lost a little skin off my ear and some hair to those little bastards. They just keep coming back for more.

• Jimmy T says:

I used to bike a lot in Oregon where I live East of Portland. I’ve biked over into Eastern Oregon sagebrush country where the antelope roam. And yes, they usually keep their distance. The closest encounter of the animal kind was when I was biking on an abandoned logging road basically flying down the mountainside came around a corner and startled a mama cougar with two large cubs. I’m fairly certain the noise of me hitting the brakes unnerved them, and the three of them fled into the brush. I slowed down after that, but they don’t always run. Sometimes they follow you…

• ming says:

JT, I’ve had run ins with all sorts of critters on bikes but never a cougar, at least not the four-footed kind. That would spook me. My claim to fame is getting chased by a badger in Idaho.

4. Not to be a Danny-Downer but, what I see is a vehicle chasing an ostrich who is running for dear life while being put at risk of being hit by an oncoming car.

• ming says:

I don’t think so. You can tell by the wind noise and the motion that the person shooting the footage is also on a bike.

• Bike or car, I still see a vehicle chasing the bird. The camera is mounted and is directly behind the animal at a rapid pace and, as said above, the ostrich is capable of speeds greater than the of the cyclists (and longer distances than filmed). It just seems to me that the bird is boxed in, not necessarily chasing but, instead, being chased.
        I dunno, maybe it’s that my life is birds -everyone else is/are jerks.
        (smooths cape)

5. My late dad was a research engineer who worked on defense projects back at the height of the Cold War, which took him several times to the desert testing grounds at White Sands NM. He said that when he and other technical folk drove out to the test site, roadrunners would show up apparently just to race the cars, speeding along on the side of the road and pacing them.

I don’t know if you can generalize from one species of bird to a quite different one, but it does seem to be a general thing that if a species has evolved to do something superbly, there’s a tendency to do it whether it’s immediately necessary or not. Dolphins leaping, otters swimming, raptors soaring, horses or cheetahs or ostriches running,
    Humans shooting their mouths off. 🙂

6. Bruce388 says:

An ostrich can ruin your day. This is from Brittanica.com:

One of the most interesting ostrich-attack stories involved the American musician Johnny Cash, who kept an exotic animal park with ostriches on his property. Cash encountered an aggressive male ostrich several times during his walks in the woods in 1981. On one occasion, Cash brandished a 6-foot stick and swung it at the bird, who dodged the swipe and slashed at Cash with its foot. Cash noted that the blow struck him in the stomach, and if it weren’t for a strong belt buckle, he said that the ostrich’s toe claw would have cut his abdomen open and killed him.