Maureen Dowd, the NYTimes’
expired shelf-life cougar, er, columnist has written another column dissing former President Obama (and surprisingly not in the racist way as usual!) and perhaps I’m reading too much into it, praising President Handsome Joe Biden?
Axios’ morning email thingie analysis:
- “President Biden is being hailed as a transformational, once-in-a-generation progressive champion, with comparisons to L.B.J. and F.D.R. aplenty, while Obama has become a cautionary tale about what happens when Democrats get the keys to the car but don’t put their foot on the gas.”
- “All month long, Democrats have been trashing Obama for the size of his itty-bitty 2009 stimulus bill … Now, after President Biden passed the $1.9 trillion cornucopia of liberal delights, Democrats are thinking that if he keeps it up, they’ll soon be picking up their chisels to carve his face on Mount Rushmore, right in the spot Obama must have been picturing for himself.”
- “Creaky, old-fashioned Joe moved fast and broke things. Unlike the sleek, modern Obama, who kept trying to work with obstructionist Republicans, Biden blew them off, calling it ‘an easy choice.'”
- “Obama’s failure to go big and to send the tumbrels rolling down Wall Street certainly greased the runway for Donald Trump.”
- “The idea that [Obama] had to sell his agenda was so anathema to him that — shockingly — he had to get Bill Clinton to do it for him at the 2012 Democratic convention. … Biden … is a natural-born salesman, the son of a salesman, who loves nothing more than to mingle with the masses.”
And note that she blames Obama for the raise of Lord Damp Nut, and manages to get in a dig at the Clintons, who are not exactly pop-culture current.
This gives us another opportunity to repost the Modo-O-Matic!
Anyway, this is not to say that she’s wrong, the Obama stimulus was way too small, but the GOP had a vast obstruction machine and with the Blue Dogs, they had the votes to enforce it. We’ve said it before, the tragic flaw in the Obama Administration it’s that Obama didn’t believe in the treachery of the Republicans soon enough. He kept trying to meet them halfway, and then they would move the finish line again. It really did take him about 6 years before he gave up, and it was mostly too late.
Anyway, MoDo isn’t into nuance and prefers primary colors.