Sen. Thune Explains Minimum Wage (OK, Boomer – part infinity)

In interpretive dance, Sen. John Thune (GQP – South Dakota)

“I started working by bussing tables at the Star Family Restaurant for $1/hour & slowly moved up to cook – the big leagues for a kid like me– to earn $6/hour,” Thune wrote in a Wednesday evening tweet. “Businesses in small towns survive on narrow margins. Mandating a $15 minimum wage would put many of them out of business.”

And Newsweek fact checks him:

In a tweet voicing his opposition to raising the national minimum wage to $15 an hour, Republican South Dakota Senator John Thune said he made $6 an hour working at a restaurant as a “kid.” Adjusted for modern inflation, that would be $24 an hour today.

Let’s up that minimum wage to $24/hr, you know, like when Sen Thune was a kid.

This entry was posted in People Dumber than Dolphins. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Sen. Thune Explains Minimum Wage (OK, Boomer – part infinity)

1. Oneofthebobs says:

I’m older than John Thune and when I was a kid with a work permit minimum wage was $1.60 an hour around here. Of course, I was worth a lot more than John Thune.

2. Jimmy T says:

I’m old enough to remember when $6 per hour was considered a living wage, but then gas was also $0.19 per gallon, and you could fill a grocery cart for less than $20…

• Lol, I remember that, also begging my dad to fill up the car at the Gulf station, even though it was 2¢ more expensive, because they had the carboard model Lunar Lander as a promotion

3. beckymaenot says:

Thune can fuck right off. If you can’t afford to pay a living wage to your employees, then you shouldn’t be in business. Costco pays a living wage- so don’t say it can’t be done. It can- but you will have to pay your C-level folks less. When your CEO makes 450 times what your average employee makes- you are part of the problem.

When I had my first real job in Jacksonville, Florida, minimum wage was $3.35 an hour. My apartment rent was $280 per month. That same apartment now costs is over $1,000 dollars a month- and minimum wage is $7.25. The math just doesn’t work.

It’s bullshit- between the employers fucking their employees (slaves) and the housing owners fucking their renters- no wonder so many people are living on the edge of financial disaster. It’s capitalism at it’s most despicable- and our government hasn’t done a damn thing to help people.

• Jimmy T says:

Here in Oregon, I had to take the car in for service today. I was amazed by the numbers of homeless camps alongside the freeways, and in any vacant spot of land the campers could find. Having recently gone through a blizzard where we couldn’t get the car out on the street even if we wanted to (we didn’t), with snow drifts up to six feet. Thought often about the people stuck in camp. Can’t even imagine how they survived. My wife Cindy and me often donate food to a feeding program, but how does that work when the program can’t get to the people in need???

Somewhere along the way we (as a country) decided it was more profitable to comfort the comfortable and afflict the afflicted. That as a social model in unsustainable. I’m hoping the Democrats now running the country understand how obscene that is and will take some corrective measures. I’m sure they will try, but will be opposed by the GQP the whole way…

Come, sit next to me Becky.

• R White says:

Thune’s story is probably a bullshit ‘rugged individualist’ story handed to him by frank kuntz in order to further exemplify the tiresome narrative of plucky white kids in rural towns who have everything handed to them but for the extra cash made learning life’s lessons at the hands of a vital mom&pop business.

It never takes into account that a majority of minorities, especially AA & Latino women who are older and who are supporting children, are the types of workers who are keeping small towns in ‘murica afloat.

4. Pingback: The Fight for $15, Cont. | Mock Paper Scissors