Ah, Texas

Enron Strikes Again

Texas had 4.1 million without power early today, according to the utility tracker PowerOutage.us. Texas, you know, in the name of freedumb (take a drink, yell “WOLVERINES!!1!”) long ago decided to create its own power grid (which of course is not interoperable with any other power grid) to avoid regulations. They have asked President Handsome Joe Biden for help, which he granted.  Last week as you may recall, Texas threatened to secede.

So why the rolling blackouts, you ask? Reuters tells us:

“Real-time wholesale market prices on the power grid operated by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) were more than $9,000 per megawatt hour late Monday morning, compared with pre-storm prices of less than $50 per megawatt hour, according to ERCOT data.”

You know, exactly what Ken Lay and Enron did to California during Chimpy’s Reign of Error.

We give last word to…

Son, Rick Perry lost his connection YEARS AGO. Oh, wait.

This entry was posted in Crazeee States, Rick '3-Departments' Perry, snark, Texas, America's Lab for Bad Policy. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Ah, Texas

1. skinnydennis says:

Texican dumbasses.

2. osirisopto says:

For months I’ve been hearing about all the tech bros that have fled Taxifornia for the sweet life in Austin now that they no longer have to go into the office.

Kind reminds me of the mass migration to Colorado after the Loma Prieta earthquake. Then winter came. For some reason people didn’t like it when we had (only) two blizzards and the temperature dropped to -15 F for two weeks. Beautiful clear blue skies and you could see for a thousand miles (outside of Denver), but fucking dangerous cold.

Lots and lots and lots of overpriced (underbuilt) McMansions went on the market in the spring.

• Jimmy T says:

Gotta wonder how Elon Musk is liking Texass now…

• R White says:

During the last recession I clearly remember while spending time with friends at various bars/restaurants/concert venues there in Denver, a group or groups of Californians always made their presence known by loudly complaining about the food/service/ambiance as if they owned the joint and no one else mattered. Over time, we just allowed them to find an area to congregate as we ignored them.

• Bruce388 says:

I came across this bit of wisdom in my New Mexico years: New Mexicans thought Texans were jerks. Then the Californians started moving in.

• purplehead says:

Yah, in the ’70s, here in the Great Northwest, bumper stickers sprouted up “Don’t Californicate Warshington.” Fat lotta good that did, tech bros. But ya know, that concept is like a nesting Russian doll. The next level down in that thought-pattern were the bumper stickers in Eastern Warshington (area code 509): “Don’t 206 509”

Back in the day, there were only two area codes in Warshington.

3. Jimmy T says:

“Governor Perry has no power,” unless you’re talking about abortion, or antifa, or the hordes of brown people streaming across the border, or Democrats. Then he has power to spare, not that he is sparing any of the above…

4. Buttermilk Sky says:

As an old, I remember the 1970s OPEC-created oil crisis, when prices skyrocketed especially in the northeast. Texas vehicles sprouted stickers that said “LET ‘EM FREEZE IN THE DARK.” They’re lucky we’re more civilized than they are.

5. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Ted Cruz is getting savaged, hilariously, on Twitter.

6. revzafod says:

Hey, it ain’t everybody in Texas! I blame it on Elbridge Gerry that I haven’t been represented in my district NW of Dallas since I moved here in 1973. According to my personal weather station, it got down to 0F this morning and I’m running a heat gun under my kitchen sink trying to thaw the pipes. What’s the old bit about raining on the just and the unjust alike?

I love Texas and Texans in particular. That said, living Texan politicians? Not so much.

Later in the Tucker interview they get Perry back and he blames the blackouts on… THE GREEN NEW DEAL.

7. Sirius Lunacy says:

Enron, the goddess of irony laughed so ha…
    Oops sorry, I misread that.

Also too people in the deep south have no earthly idea how to drive on snow and definitely not on the ice. This will be an insurance companies nightmare. heh.

• revzafod says:

“Also too people in the deep south have no earthly idea how to drive on snow and definitely not on the ice.”

Excepting those of us raised in the north. Born in Illinois. Spent a few winters home from college in Madison WI. My parents bought a 1940 Chevy with 3-on-the-floor and running boards from my mother’s classmate in Bloomfield IA, literally driven once a week to town with 40k miles for $200 and sold it 4 years later for $250. That sucker would cruise around Madison when newer cars were stuck.
      I also spent three winters in the army in Germany in the mid-60’s, so I’m an un-typical Texan