Unbelievable

Keep eff’ing that chicken

Live updates: House managers forego witnesses in Trump impeachment trial

So much for fighting.

I do not understand the strategy of this, if the goal was to prosecute the Republican Party in the court of popular opinion (because d’uh: the Senate was never going to convict the bastard).

After the fact justification is pouring in from some of my friends on Twitter that now we can focus on Biden’s agenda, which is true, but that’s not the point of the trial. The point was to convince the public that the Republicans are toxic. I hope that was made clear.

The House wager is that the headlines will be along the Dems in Disarray and Lord Damp Nut will make another claim of being totally vindicated as the Senate votes to not convict him.

PS –

This is one of those RARE moments where I actually miss Hardball with Chris Matthews. Lemme explain myself…

Tweety’s entire career was spent asking only one question: Did the strategy work? He always came off as an amoral jerk because he never asked if it was the right strategy or even the right fight. He was only interested in the efficacy of the strategy.

Anyway, today made me think about him, and in a way my own mystification is really just Tweety’s question: did the strategy of winning a vote to call for witnesses and then saying, “Naw, nevermind,” did it work?

This entry was posted in dim-o-crats, ITMFA, The Coup Klux Klan (Republicans), The Stupid Coup. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Unbelievable

1. “Never missing an opportunity to miss an opportunity”.

2. spotthedog says:

Well they can only take so much, Josh Hawley’s feet have gone to sleep from being propped up on the chair in front of him in the senate gallery.

3. Czippie L'Shimp says:

No no, this is entirely believable. Some might say predictable.

One certainly hopes that this is a wonderfully strategic 11th dimensional chess move that will pay off in the end as a vehicle for restoring justice, democracy and the rule of law.

One has, however, had this football pulled away before… every time.

4. quakerinabasement says:

The explanation I’m seeing is that the vote for witnesses forced Trump’s lawyer’s to allow the statement about McCarthy’s phone call with Trump into evidence. That knocks down any argument that Trump wasn’t aware of what was happening or was trying to stop the riot. The statement proves he knew and proves he didn’t care to stop it.

There’s little more to be gained from calling witnesses.

5. Redhand says:

I just woke up from a nap to be greeted by this news. Ugh!

The lessons I take from this are:

(1) Impeachment is a toothless remedy for even the worst rogue president — and you can’t find one worse than LDN after what he did on Jan 6 (among a universe of other crimes), “The Founders” gave more credit to the moral rectitude and “statesmanship” of US Senators than the office and title deserve.

(2) I don’t think our history will provide a more compelling case for the impeachment of a president than this, which underscores the depravity of the GOP. He remains their “dear leader” even when the overwhelming evidence gave them a perfect opportunity to purge the Party of him. It seems that they will follow him even when he literally tries to have some of killed!

(3) We must regard the GOP now as a mortal enemy of our form of Government. Like the Nazis in Weimar Germany, its very existence is inimical to the Government it participates in. It must be opposed by any and every legal means available to us.

(4) That seven GOP senators voted to impeach does make any Trump claims of “exoneration” hollow. It’s hard to claim “victory” when the vote for impeachment is 57-43.

(5) More than a majority of Americans polled wanted Trump impeached and barred from ever seeking elected office again. I don’t think that augers well for the GOP, though there is no room to be complacent about anything not in our political landscape.

(6) Fascism is a real possibility in 21st Century America, thus my caution in (5).

(7) I feel I’m living in a failed State in many ways. I see very little reason to be “proud to be a Murrican.” There are other countries out there with better forms of government than ours. The idea that this is “the greatest country in the world” is bullshit. Today proves it.

I saw a report from a NGO that listed the USA as a failed democracy. We’re already at #7, Redhand.

• Redhand says:

Yeah, I saw that myself. We have an 18th Century Constitution whose patchwork of amendments do not result in a true, modern representative democracy. The deck is stacked against democracy because of the grossly unrepresentative Senate and the abomination that is the Electoral College. When manipulated by a malicious, racist minority completely committed to voter suppression, the undemocratic flaws in our system are glaring.

6. laura says:

If the capable Impeachment Managers believe that wrapping up without calling witnesses was the best course of action I am willing to trust their judgment. Get the AG confirmed and let 10,000 investigations of all the fuckery begin.

7. spotthedog says:

Stacey Plaskett has a good day-after line; “We needed more senators with spines”. The bigger picture is that acquittal is the GQP’s failure, not the Democrat’s, and I think that is exactly the right take on it.

8. revzafod says:

I prefer not to rush to judgment. Read this and see if you’ll give them a break.

9. Pingback: Unbelievable – FairAndUNbalanced.com