The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

“Follow me!” — Cadet Bone Spurs
(H/T Scissorhead D-Cap)

I’ve long said that I didn’t think a military coup was likely, and while armed insurrection from Possum Hollar already has occurred, I stand by my original assertion:

FBI vetting Guard troops in DC amid fears of insider attack

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. defense officials say they are worried about an insider attack or other threat from service members involved in securing President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration, prompting the FBI to vet all of the 25,000 National Guard troops coming into Washington for the event.

OK, I understand and applaud the over-abundance of caution,  and after all that we’ve learned about the insurrectionists of the Stupid Coup this seems wise. But at least to me supports my belief that a military coup will not happen. That someone is already working to ensure that it doesn’t is both alarming and comforting.

This entry was posted in Insurrection, The Stupid Coup. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

1. sos says:

both alarming and comforting
    So you feel strongyl both ways? Ahh, a sign of an advanced legal mind.

2. schmice3 says:

Anwar Sadat

3. beckymaenot says:

I get why it is unnerving and I feel it to. This is all a direct result of unchecked right wing extremism. Not only unchecked, but actively nurtured by many, including our failed political press.

4. There’s no way the dingbats pull off any semblance of a coup (not because they aren’t ambitious like that but, because they’re woefully inept) but, I do believe they’re hoping to snipe our newly elected administration/officials.

5. ming says:

None of this will end with the inauguration. The military and police have been thoroughly infiltrated by right wing extremists. It’s time to clean house.

6. Ten Bears says:

Turning to Sun Tzu, we find 8:17 – Don’t be in a hurry.

I’d venture we got past this on a combination of dumb luck, good(on our part) and bad, and, as sophisticated as it was turning out a riot as cover for a few squads of para-military operatives out to lynch not just Pelosi and congresswomen of color but the repube vice-president, poor planning and haste. And (8:15) a lack of enterprise, a lack of commonality, coordination – not everybody’s heart was in the same place. Interesting to note tho perhaps trivia, chapter eight is Attack with Fire.

In order to perform a coup, stupid or otherwise, the support of the military is mandatory. It’s difficult to get the support of the military when you continuously brag that you’re smarter than all of the generals in the entire universe combined.

8. quakerinabasement says:

I’m with you, 10G. I have had occasion to do project work with members of the military, sometimes on military bases. The men and women I met there definitely leaned conservative, but more importantly, they were dedicated professionals with a clear sense of values and mission. If, by some incredible set of circumstances, a sufficient number of insurrectionists were able to assemble inside the military, they’d still be vastly outnumbered by those obeying their oath. These times call for careful precautions, but the loyalty of the military isn’t something I worry about.

9. I think the nearness of the insurrection we DID have scared the ever living fuck out of the military that actually takes their oaths seriously.

10. spotthedog says:

I like to think that the big pendulum of socio-political consciousness which has been stuck pointing to the right for about 40 years finally began to creep back leftward in the aftershock of the Bonespurs Rebellion, my hope anyway, guess we’ll see.

11. Tones says:

Step 1 Create insurrection

Step 2 Martial law due to said insurrection

Step 3 Unfortunately we cannot now have a transfer of power.

I fear this until -what? – midnight tonight?

.<

Tones –

Noon, eastern, tomorrow Wednesday January 20.

But as we’ve pointed out a few times, per the Constitution, Trump’s presidency ends. Even if there was some sort of imposition of martial law, he and Pence are out of office as of January 20 at noon. If there is no elected president (assuming the martial law takes Handsome Joe Biden out of the picture, because as long as we’re being dystopian, why not go worst case), then the rules of succession in the 25th Amendment kick into gear and we say hello to President Nancy Pelosi.

This is the thing with the Constitution: the state must always have a leader.

We’re all worried, you’re not alone.