Republicans Man The Lifeboats

Exciting News From Captain Stupid!

The Atlantic tells us something we already know: strategic forgettery*!

“As Donald Trump lurches through the disastrous final days of his presidency, Republicans are just beginning to survey the wreckage of his reign. Their party has been gutted, their leader is reviled, and after four years of excusing every presidential affront to ‘conservative values,’ their credibility is shot. How will the GOP recover from the complicity and corruption of the Trump era? To many Republicans, the answer is simple: Pretend it never happened.”

You can bet they are out back burning their uniforms, er, MAGA merch.

“The plan might seem implausible, but I’ve heard it floated repeatedly in recent days by Republican strategists who are counting down the minutes of the Trump presidency. The hardcore MAGA crowd will stay loyal, of course, and those few who have consistently opposed Trump will escape with their reputations intact. But for the majority of GOP officials, apparatchiks, and commentators who sacrificed their dignity at the altar of Trump, a collective case of amnesia seems destined to set in the moment he leaves office.”

This is what they do, this is what they’ve always done. When Chimpy left the country in smouldering ruins, you couldn’t find a Republican who could remember the 8 years of Error. They put on their tri-corner hats, dangled teabags and claimed to be independents who just woke up from a Rip VanWinkle-style nap and wondered what happened to the Gipper.

The windows are open for wagers: what will replace the Tea Party? I’m kinda thinking the Q-Spiracy is the house favorite.

• Hat tip: Driftglass
This entry was posted in 2020 Goat Rodeo, Lord Damp Nut, The Russian Usurper, Q-spiracy. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Republicans Man The Lifeboats

1. sos says:

You know what we say when Republicans Man The Lifeboats: “LAUNCH TORPEDOES!!”

2. Ten Bears says:

The New Confederacy – we’re already there.

3. Jimmy T says:

A quote I found on the intertubes…

“Everyone getting arrested and losing their job for storming the Capitol building are realizing why their grandparents wore hoods.” Travis Allen

4. spotthedog says:

That is absolutely their game, and we can recite their new mantras; “national debt/budget deficit!, socialism/communism!, can’t we move on from the Dems impeachment obsession?!”. That’s what we’ll be hearing 24/7, although it makes me smile to know they are splintered with the idiots who want to keep up the idea of overturning the election, hopefully that will keep Reps rudderless for a good while.

If I remember correctly Chimpy and Blam-Blam did not even make an appearance at the 2008 Rep convention. And I feel pretty sure they weren’t mentioned much if any, but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

• MDavis says:

I’m pretty sure there’s nothing to correct there. If I understand this, that is how they hung 911 on Obama – they don’t remember Shrub being in office at all, so it must have been O.

I suspect it will be difficult for the GOP to ignore the monster they created when at the bare minimum 25% of their base believe that the monster was sent by their god to clean house. Especially now since they’ve had a taste of blood.