This poll in the Axios email thingie says it all:
Percent who agree America is falling apart
Ipsos/Axios poll of 1,019 U.S. adults, Jan. 11-13, 2021
The two parties agree: In a new Axios-Ipsos poll, fourth-fifths of Americans — both Republicans and Democrats — say America is falling apart.
- Why it matters: The question, asked Tuesday and Wednesday, reflects the collision of crises besetting the country — the backdrop of a pandemic, recession, decoupling of red/blue America, and racial injustice + the immediacy of the Capitol insurrection, followed by Impeachment II.
22% of Democrats and 19% of independents — one-fifth of each — say they aren’t proud to be an American.
- 7% of Republicans, and 17% of Americans as a whole, say that.
The bottom line: Something else to agree on … Both parties say traditional party leaders don’t get them.
- Workers filing for jobless claims jumped to nearly 1 million last week, indicating rising layoffs amid a YUGE surge in Covid-19 cases.
- Noted election saboteur James Comey: “I don’t know, [Biden] should at least consider [pardoning Hair Füror]. Donald Trump, he’s not a genius, but he might figure out that if he accepts a pardon, that’s an admission of guilt, the United States Supreme Court has said, so I don’t know that he would accept a pardon.”
- Former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson: “We squandered the best opportunity we had on North Korea…With Putin we didn’t get anything done. We’re nowhere with China on national security. We’re in a worse place today than we were before he came in, and I didn’t think that was possible.”