It all started when Floriduh’s own testimonial to sober living and hair gel, Matt Gaetz suggested that Antifa was behind the Republican Insurrection and Coup last night, and it spread like wildfire to all the usual suspects.
Axios’ morning email thingie:
The right’s favored media offered an alternate reality in which everyone but pro-Trump rioters were to blame for the mayhem at the Capitol:
- Instead of condemning the pro-Trump mobs that stormed Washington, right-wing media outlets mostly blamed left-wing activists, the media, Vice President Pence — and even police officers — for the riots that some suggested were the start of a “civil war” in America.
- Hosts on One America News Network and Newsmax went so far as to suggest that the unlawful protestors at the Capitol may have been members of Antifa.
- Conspiracy theorist Lin Wood tweeted to his over 1 million followers before having his account suspended: “Mike Pence @VP @Mike_Pence is a TRAITOR, a Communist Sympathizer & a Child Molester. Lock him up.”
Even when it became obvious that the riots were becoming destructive, right-wing networks downplayed the severity of events, calling those marching on the Capitol mostly peaceful protestors.
- Presenters on OANN argued the riots were nothing compared to racial-justice protests over the summer.
- One meme that was posted to TheDonald.win, a fringe-right alternative social network, featured a cartoon of a police officer telling a Black Lives Matter protester, “Please stop, we can work this out” — while holding a police shield, but holding a gun up against a white MAGA protestor.
And of course, noted Black Studies scholar and TV Dinner Heir Tucker Carlson gets the last line (emphasis mine):
The bottom line … Tucker Carlson ended the monologue at the top of his Fox News show by saying: “We got to this sad, chaotic day for a reason. It is not your fault. It is their fault.”