RIP, Pierre Cardin

Fashion Week Continues is in mourning. Pierre Cardin has gone to couture the celebs in the sky.

Pierre Cardin, the French couturier who pioneered the designer licensing business by putting his name not just on ready-to-wear clothes but also on sunglasses, luggage, carpets and kitchen appliances, has died. He was 98.

His name was on EVERYTHING, and I bet if you run through your clothes and whatnot, you’ll find something. I have some handkerchiefs that are branded by him. I do not know if I will miss him, but I sure know who he was.

This entry was posted in Dead Celebrities. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to RIP, Pierre Cardin

1. I think I have a scarf with that name on it around here, somewhere. Mrs BDR got married in her real couture house, not name-licensed, beautiful, ivory Cardin (1) dress.

(because our wedding was the diametric opposite of a modern “coulda bought a house for that thing wedding” that we wore our fancy party clothes and had cake and party food with friends, then went to work the next day…)

1) that she got in a very schmancy thrift shop in NY, that her actual one-time fashion model sister clued her into.

• MDavis says:

I miss thrift shops.
      The closest one to us that is not a total joke is 65 miles away and off limits to us due to pandemic rules.
      The closest one I have been to that was actually fun is [fumbles around in maps….] 760 miles away. If it’s still there.

• ali redford says:

I miss our thrift store, too. They can’t open because all the volunteers are well over 60 (well over 70, actually,) and are especially susceptible. Since people here simply will not mask/wash/keep distance, the shop can’t open, because no one can work there.
        I don’t have any Cardin though I know who he was; I bought my MIL a Pierre Cardin-labelled headscarf there; she thought that was something!

• MDavis says:

I never really went for brand names. But thrift stores are where I learned to tell silk from rayon and linen from cotton. (sorry random thrift store worker, I just didn’t know the word “hand” as a descriptor for the feel and drape of a fabric. The best I could do at the time was to show you how I could tell it was linen because “it wiggles funny” when you dangle it and sorta shake it back and forth.)

2. laura says:

Hell’s yes I’ve got a Pierre Cardin scarf to this very day. It’s a wierd silly material that is nowhere unto impossible to iron.

3. laura says:

Yet again, I am a victim of auto-splle.

4. spotthedog says:

Also the music world has just lost a couple of guitar legends; Leslie West of 70’s rock band Mountain and bluegrass flatpicker extraordinaire Tony Rice. I feel fortunate to have seen both of them in their prime.

5. moeman says:

Yep, still have a couple of his ties on the bedposts. 😎