Axios afternoon email thingie:
1 big thing: ✈️ 3 straight 1m-flyer days
Not taking it seriously: More than 1 million Americans passed through TSA checkpoints over each of the past three days, the biggest surge since the start of the pandemic.
- Why it matters: The CDC warned against travel during the holidays, telling Americans that “postponing travel and staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.”
- Even around Thanksgiving, TSA never had back-to-back days that hit 1 million passengers screened.
The big picture: Air travel is higher than this summer, when the outbreak was much less worse.
- The seven-day rolling average of newly reported infections in the U.S. has risen from about 176,000 a day just before Thanksgiving to more than 215,000 a day, notes AP.
- Another factor scaring public health folks: Christmas visits tend to last longer than Thanksgiving, thanks to New Year’s.
The bottom line: AAA projects about 85 million people will travel between Dec. 23 and Jan. 3, mostly by car, AP reports.
- That’s down only one-third from last year.
Gonna make “Grandma Got Run-Over By A Reindeer” look like a matinee as the nation’s MeMaws all keel over dead by new years eve. It’s the same selfish fucks who gave us the Thanksgiving Trump-Virus spike and why virtually ever ICU bed in the entire country is occupied and the death panels are coming.
Glad I spent the last 9 months being responsible so these selfish assholes can infect everyone.