We’re Totally Eff’ed In The Dark (Part Infinity)

Axios afternoon email thingie:

1 big thing: ✈️ 3 straight 1m-flyer days

Not taking it seriously: More than 1 million Americans passed through TSA checkpoints over each of the past three days, the biggest surge since the start of the pandemic.

• Why it matters: The CDC warned against travel during the holidays, telling Americans that “postponing travel and staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.”
  • Even around Thanksgiving, TSA never had back-to-back days that hit 1 million passengers screened.

The big picture: Air travel is higher than this summer, when the outbreak was much less worse.

• The seven-day rolling average of newly reported infections in the U.S. has risen from about 176,000 a day just before Thanksgiving to more than 215,000 a day, notes AP.
  • Another factor scaring public health folks: Christmas visits tend to last longer than Thanksgiving, thanks to New Year’s.

The bottom line: AAA projects about 85 million people will travel between Dec. 23 and Jan. 3, mostly by car, AP reports.

• That’s down only one-third from last year.

Gonna make “Grandma Got Run-Over By A Reindeer” look like a matinee as the nation’s MeMaws all keel over dead by new years eve. It’s the same selfish fucks who gave us the Thanksgiving Trump-Virus spike and why virtually ever ICU bed in the entire country is occupied and the death panels are coming.

Glad I spent the last 9 months being responsible so these selfish assholes can infect everyone.

This entry was posted in Pandemics. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to We’re Totally Eff’ed In The Dark (Part Infinity)

1. Wesley Sandel says:

This is irrefutable evidence that Americans are too stoopid to make decisions for themselves. They deserve exactly what they’re going to get.

2. Robert Mcneilly says:

All flights could have been shut down like when they violated mah freedom on 9 11

3. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Grandma got infected by the COVID
    At the family dinner Christmas Eve.
    Cousin Rudy don’t believe in masking,
    And wipes his filthy boogers on his sleeve.

4. Jimmy T says:

Well, at least the average of the general population will increase. Slowly at first, and then like bankruptcy, all at once. When we gain majority status, we can make the world a better place…

5. Dennis Cole says:

I think the majority of those “travelers” are just frustrated, and fed up with all the different guidelines coming from hundreds of different sources, and there’s no unifying leadership, so they’re essentially saying (to themselves, and maybe to family members going with them,) “Fuck it! I’m tired of sitting around, I’m gonna die anyway, but I wanna see old friends, or distant family before I die from this shit, or they do, or maybe we’ll all just die together, because right now, the World is a seriously fucked up place, and if things get any worse, then we’re prolly ALL gonna wanna die!” Plus, the death rate is still very low, percentage-wise, and as more of them become more aware of folks who’ve recovered compared to those they know who have died, the equation conveniently balances out. And besides, granny was gettin old, and was gonna croak soon, anyway.

And shutting down all but “essential” air travel would just add another ruinous hit to the Economy, and we certainly can’t have THAT, now can we?

• well, it would ruin the airline industry. Fuck the livelihoods of normal fucking people, but let’s keep airlines afloat, you know?

• Infidel753 says:

320,000 dead out of 18 million infected is almost 2%. It’s not all that low. Plus, since it takes a couple of weeks to kill you, it’s more relevant to compare the death toll with the number of infected a couple of weeks ago, which is smaller and thus yields a higher death rate. And for every one who dies, several who survive are left with permanent symptoms like major organ damage, messed-up blood pressure and heart rate, mental fogginess, etc.

I’m guessing most of those 85 million who are traveling are from the “stupid one-third” of the population who are still in denial about how serious this is, and whose “news” sources have always downplayed it.

This is the perfect super-spreader situation. One infected person on a plane can infect many, and then each of those newly-infected people will be in prolonged contact with the group they’re visiting while still not symptomatic. And remember, vaccination for the broad mass of the public is still months away. This pandemic may yet reach 700,000 dead and beat out the Civil War to be the worst disaster in US history.

• Dennis Cole says:

Infidel – I was referring to the number of deaths compared to the overall population, 300,000 out of 330 million, which is slightly less than 1%. And even if those 85 million travelers probly know, or know of someone who’s died from the virus, they probly are aware of a greater number who have survived it, instead of succumbing to it.

In my circle of acquaintances, I know 6 people who caught it, but are fully recovered, but only because of timely medical intervention and care. Doesn’t make ME willing to travel, or otherwise take any other unnecessary chances of exposure, until I get vaccinated, and even then, I will take all the same precautions I’m taking now, like masking in public, and wearing disposable gloves while shopping – you never know who might have handled the packages or produce just minutes prior to you picking it up.

• beckymaenot says:

DC is right- lack of leadership is the problem. And today- they don’t care about that lack of leadership- but just wait until their toddlerbabyassholegit isn’t in the whiteyhouse anymore. Then they will be all about bitching about the government again.

6. FFS, it doesn’t even seem like there’s a point to being a zombie anymore.

• Saw a meme the other day “Any zombie movie from now on is going to have to feature hordes of people running towards the zombies because they think zombies are fake”

Fer Dowgs sake, Boris I a dumb mop of hair Johnson is all “CANCEL CHRISTMAS!!!! and dumbass americans are cramming themselves by the millions into plague tubes.

• Dennis Cole says:

Wear a mask. And glove up when you go shopping, even if your local Piggly Wiggly is doing things the Safeway, and the A& P, Costco, and Sam’s club hope they stay Lucky until Herd Mortality yields to a Herd Mentality that finally accepts Herd Avoidance, due to Herd Immunity. (TWALIDT!)

(That Was a Lot I Did There!)

• Another Kiwi says:

No brains to eat, anyways.

7. CalicoJack says:

Much less worse? Really?

8. CalicoJack says:

Howdy Ten!

Sounds like you might could have some feels about the intensification of the pandemic thanks to travel and ignoring the CDC guidelines since day one. You shouldn’t hold that kind of strong emotion in. It’s bad for your health. You should get it off your chest. You’re among friends. We’ll understand.

Huzzah!
    Jack

9. Ten Bears says:

Happy New Year Ten. I’ve noticed we who’ve done the right thing – ok, maybe not the right thing but what we were asked of, and it worked, for us (haven’t caught the trump-flu), so far – in isolation we are all now pretty segregated from those who have not. It’s a concept of scale that may require piano fingers to wrap around, but all we have done to date is secure ourselves against infection: we’re pretty locked down here in the bear den, have been since the middle of February, my significant other has some pretty serious underlying health conditions and to be honest I haven’t lived this long erring on the side of frivolity. But for trips to the damned hospital she hasn’t been out of the house all frickin’ year. I haven’t seen my kids, my grandkids, all year, they’re as locked down as we are. All of our circles are tight, all of the circles that overlap are tight.

Here’s the nut: these superspreading travel events only marginally increase our, of I and mine, personal odds of catching the trump-flu, while the odds those others, them and those, will catch the bug increase exponentially. Yeah, it’s kinda’ cold-hearted, and yes it does increase the odds of wider infection across the community, but if we just keep doing what we’re doing we’ll be fine.

That’s what I keep telling myself, we’ll be fine.

• beckymaenot says:

10B- this is what we keep telling ourselves too. Me and Mr Becks are in a very similar situation and have been virtually on our own since Feb. I get TG’s frustration- I am there plus 100, except I am way past frustrated- I’m pissed as hell. So tired of missing our kids, grandkids, parents. Tired of the cancelled holidays and birthdays and milestones. I’ve got a grandkid that turned 1 last weekend and I have only seen her in person twice, right after she was born before this nightmare was a thing. And I so pissed- because it IS ongoing and it’s going to stay that way – all because of a bunch of fragile toddler assholebabies who are so selfish and spoiled that they can’t wear a fucking mask. Frankly- I agree with you about the increase of odds of infection across that community and I care as much about them as they do about every one else. Fuckem.

10. robginchicago says:

I loved the behind the scenes photo of the modern-day Ark on-boarding Trump cultists hoping to survive a Biden Presidency.

11. R White says:

Not to be too morbid, but hopefully another 300-400k deaths of ‘real muricans’ will convince the worthless beltway media not to eventually rehab the image & persona of Cheeto Jesus into everyone’s fave uncle like that of the dry-drunk W.

12. tengrain says:

Folks –

You’re right, I essentially do not give a whoop about Possum Hollar killing itself off. But, there are a lot of innocent victims –collateral damage, if you will– for each one of the stupid people who are embracing Death’s jolly old sting.

• Dennis Cole says:

Deaths due to the virus haven’t affected them personally yet, so they think their chances of catching it are slim, and surviving it are good. So let their YOLO attitude be the death of them, although the collateral damage IS quite disconcerting.

• Another Kiwi says:

Some of the more serious shit about this virus is the long term effects. It is going to blight a lot of lives for a long time. I haven’t heard of any country that has thought that through. I recoil in horror at the thought of the plan the Republicans would announce.

• Wesley Sandel says:

Ten million unemployed, five million homeless families and Mitch McConnell still running the Senate. Just those facts tell you that without some New Deal level leadership the country is on the way to a major recession. Possibly long-term. And tens of millions more becoming disabled due to the side effects.

We may have tens of millions of internally displaced people aka refugees in the nation by 2030.

And the government and all the resources are in the hands of 1% of the population, all of whom think that government and democracy are bad. And they’ve convinced half the population that scientists and doctors are all trying to fool them. It’s all a giant conspiracy of the intellectuals to take away everyone’s freedom.

This is what happens when the literacy level falls to eighth grade.

13. Pingback: The Coming COVID-19 Explosion – FairAndUNbalanced.com