Bad Signs, Cont.

H/T Scissorhead Ralph Wiggam

Well, there goes my plans for the day.

(Weirdly specific, the sign is —according to Wiggam— Near Carcross, Yukon , Canada. Speculate wildly in the comments)

This entry was posted in Bad Signs. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Bad Signs, Cont.

1. I was thinking that 1.62 km is probably a mile, but NO! A mile is 1.61 km. Why on earth would this sign (and the underlying law or regulation) be that specific when it’s not equivalent to a familiar distance?

• Oneofthebobs says:

When Canada converted to metric, (and we didn’t) they probaby measured the distance, rather than converting mathematically. 1 percent of a kilometer seems like an acceptable margin of error for weird rules, to me. 🙂

• E.A. Blair says:

The US congress actually passed a bill officially adopting the metric system as the official standard of measure sometime around 1867, but it was never implemented. Not using metric is a distinction the US shares with those bastions of scientific achievement, Liberia and Myanmar.

• MDavis says:

My wild speculation is that there is a fence or a property line 1.62 km from the south end of railroad bridge. But rounding errors sounds good, too.

2. Lsamsa says:

I somehow don’t think too many will be paying any mind to that sign, nor breaking out the map & the calculator.

3. Dennis Cole says:

If I have an RV, and close all the curtains so that the world can’t see in,
    can I do some private drinking?

4. revzafod says:

Wanna see the choo choo? Try one of my favorite movies, Track 29.

5. donnah says:

Sounds like they lost a lot of drunks off that south railroad bridge.

6. IbnBob says:

My memory from high school 50 years ago was thar metric education concentrated on conversion to/from metric rather than actual use, and largely consisted of memorizing lotsa arbitrary multiple digit might-as-well-be-random numbers. pretty average US education.

7. leftcoastgary says: