News That Will Drive You to Drink

Happy Hour News Briefs

We started the week with Libertarians leaving California and moving to tax-free Texas, Screwie Louie Gohmert’s tooth falling out, Texas bringing suit to end democracy as we know it, and now…

Texas lawmaker to file bill calling for vote on secession from US

A Texas state lawmaker has vowed to introduce legislation allowing a referendum for voters to cast their ballots on whether to secede from the United States.

“The federal government is out of control and does not represent the values of Texans. That is why I am committing to file legislation this session that will allow a referendum to give Texans a vote for the State of Texas to reassert its status as an independent nation,” Texas state Rep. Kyle Biedermann (R) shared on Facebook on Tuesday.

Biederman said the legislation aligns with the Texas state Constitution, which reads “The faith of the people of Texas stands pledged to the preservation of a republican form of government, and, subject to this limitation only, they have at all times the inalienable right to alter, reform or abolish their government in such manner as they may think expedient.”

It seems like every couple of years Texas has a nutty and tries to secede, and demand that the rest of us beg them to stay. I’ve have enough of their tween-age drama.

G’bye, y’all.

I love Texas and Texans and I will miss them terribly, but I will be glad to point them to a USPS outlet so they can get change of address cards.

This entry was posted in Secession, Texas, America's Lab for Bad Policy, The New Confederacy. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to News That Will Drive You to Drink

1. David L Keller says:

While I was in the southwest, I knew someone who had a real problem with Texas. When I asked him why, he said “it’s full of Texans”.

2. MDavis says:

“… Texas stands pledged to the preservation of a republican form of government…”
    Texas dudes, republican form of government doesn’t mean you get to quit if a Republican party candidate loses.

• Dennis Cole says:

MD – they sure as hell aren’t pledging to a democratic form of gov’t., where every vote gets counted. And their “Republican form looks WAY too much like fascism…

• MDavis says:

I wouldn’t discount the possibility that they are counting on their electorate to believe that “preserving the republican form of government” means that only Republicans should be elected.
        I also wouldn’t discount the possibility that they believe that “preserving the republican form of government” means that only Republicans should be elected.

3. Dennis Cole says:

Just about THE most oligarchic thing I can think of is billionaires moving to Texas mostly coz they have no state income tax. If you have just ONE billion dollars, but were forced to spend $100,000 each and every day, it would take you AT LEAST 10,000 days to spend it all, and it would prolly take even longer if you had it invested properly. And what the fuck can you do with a HUNDRED billion, except brag about having more money than almost everyone else on the planet?

I wish they could all fly off to Mars tomorrow, but then have the same landing as Musk’s “Starship” did yesterday, on their arrival there.

I must confess I have no problem donating money to build a wall around TX because if they secede from the union they will all become illegal aliens and everything like that.

5. angry spittle says:

All of these red states that talk of secession………… I say let ’em go. As soon as all the federal dollars disappear they’l be begging to be let back in……

6. HarpoSnarx says:

Happily inform Mexico that its lost province is available for reunification.

7. Ten Bears says:

Fine, we’ll keep your Social Security. All that welfare money, all that “border security”.

All that water washing down out of the New Mexican highlands.

You can keep “Ted” though, Qban Canadian illegal alien.

8. Infidel753 says:

38 fewer Republican electoral votes? Maybe there’s a win-win solution here.

If Texas stopped being part of the US, all the US military bases there would need to be dismantled and removed, along with the H-bomb factory in Amarillo. Texans in the US military would suddenly become foreigners and need to be expelled. No more federal assistance after hurricanes, and somebody would have to work out whether people who suddenly stopped being US citizens were still eligible for Social Security. Texas exports to the US would be subject to tariffs.

These people don’t really think these things through.

Actually I’d kind of like to see such a referendum to see how many Texans would vote to leave. I suspect not very many.

I’m not sure it ever came to a vote, but it gets floated during every Democratic Administration that I can recall. This is the first time that an elected representative vowed to introduce a referendum (I think).

It must be the heat.

• MDavis says:

Texas is actually relatively close to the break even point, per capita, although that would certainly change when US bases and federal operations move out.
      Also, if I understand the tariff discussions we’ve had, we’d put tariffs on exports to Texas (could we do that?) or impose export fees.
      On the sunny side, we could always swear Puerto Rico in to replace them. With a little support instead of predatory terms on federal loans, they might be net givers rather than net takers, once their infrastructure is finally repaired from the last two hurricanes, that is.

9. jaf48 says:

And LA, GA, FL, KY, TN, SC, NC, AR, OK, MO, KS, WV, IN, IA, ID. Let the leech states fend for their free-market, bootstrap, faux Christian selves.