RIP, Chuck Yeager

Chuck Yeager, 1st to break sound barrier, dies at 97

“Retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Charles ‘Chuck’ Yeager, the World War II fighter pilot ace and quintessential test pilot who showed he had the ‘right stuff’ when in 1947 he became the first person to fly faster than sound, has died.”

A larger-than-life hero Yeager was so much more than a pilot. Here’s the instructive quote for a life well-lived:

“I haven’t yet done everything, but by the time I’m finished, I won’t have missed much,” he wrote. “If I auger in (crash) tomorrow, it won’t be with a frown on my face. I’ve had a ball.”

This entry was posted in Dead Celebrities. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to RIP, Chuck Yeager

1. [shakes fist at sky] FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCKKKKKKKK YOU 2021!!!

2. spotthedog says:

The original “Boomer”, in a literal sense. A hero to kids like me growing up in that era.

3. ming says:

What a character he was all the way until the end. His granddaughter and her husband are good friends of mine. He drove them nuts with his 17-year marriage to a woman half his age which they only referred to as “the Gold Digger”, However, they loved him and were intensely proud of his service and accomplishments. RIP Chuck Yeager you magnificent bastard.

4. donnah says:

We have family in West Virginia, where Chuck was born, and I’m reminded of his accomplishments when we drive through, as a part of the highway is named in his honor.

5. vonBeavis says:

I have two Yeager stories, both old.

Lolo, the barber in the small city of Avalon on Catalina Island, told the story of when Yeager’s friends were visiting and called him to ask when he’d be there. Yeager said he’d be right over. Shortly thereafter, he buzzed Metropole Street, breaking a bunch of windows.

Decades later, Yeager was going to do a flyover of an air show at Edwards Air Force Base. I was with a group of motorcycles on a lonely highway nearby. The desert roads are mostly straight shots for miles. Yeager pounced on us from behind in an F-15, passing maybe 50′ overhead, complete with sonic boom that almost knocked us out of the saddle.

Good times.

6. Bruce388 says:

From my reading years ago: Yeager shot down five German planes over England IN ONE AFTERNOON. He was shot down over occupied France, made his way to neutral Spain, and eventually returned to England several pounds heavier.

The man could fly a plane.

7. jaf48 says:

Hey Ridley, you got any Beemans?