Some After Dinner Ick?

Couldn’t Eat A Byte

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!1!

Singapore becomes first country to approve lab-grown meat

“…The product, created from cultured chicken cells, has been approved as an ingredient in chicken bites following Singapore Food Agency (SFA) approval, Eat Just said Tuesday.

“Initially, the chicken bites will debut in a Singapore restaurant, with plans for wider expansion into dining and retail establishments in the country, Josh Tetrick, co-founder and CEO of Eat Just told CNN Business. The product will be priced at parity with premium chicken, he added.”

From the MIT newsletter thingie: “Singapore’s decision could kick-start the first wave of regulatory approvals around the world. Meat with much lower greenhouse gas emissions and zero animal suffering is really on its way.”

OK, that actually good news, but I would rather go vegetarian to accomplish those goals.  I’m probably outta my lane here, but no thank you, Science.

This entry was posted in food, Science. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Some After Dinner Ick?

1. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

They tried to make me grow a meat slab,
    I said, “No, No, No.”
    Told me, “Make a clone, steak without a bone!”
    “No, no, no!”

2. Infidel753 says:

Presumably it still has all the physical properties of real meat — so it will still promote clogged arteries, insulin resistance, cancer, obesity, strokes, heart attacks, and generally, you know, death.

3. osirisopto says:

Not a problem. No one really wants to know what’s in chicken nuggets anyway.

4. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

I’m reminded of the wickedly funny novel The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl and Cyril M. Kornbluth. The protagonist loses his cushy job as an advertising executive and has to take a job tending a giant mass of vat-grown chicken meat called Chicken Little that’s fed with algae byproducts.

B-4 –

I know the story well; certain famous podcasters lent the book to me a few years ago..

The pulsating blob was disturbing, but the harvesting with swords to shave off layers creeped me out. Nightmares for days, which I will probably have again tonight.

• MDavis says:

Isn’t that the one where one’s caste was determined by one’s SS number, the lower the better?
        I don’t remember the blob, but I do remember his decision process regarding his use of addictive substances that he knew had been added to rations, in order to blend in.
        It was written in the age of tobacco and alcohol e v e r y w h e r e.

5. Karla says:

I welcome lab-grown meat. I can’t wait to try it.
    I switched my diet to 100% vegetarian about 4 years ago, and it was strictly because of what the meat industry has done to the environment. I still like to eat meat, and I am a fan of the fake meat products on the market.
    I’d have an easier time keeping weight off if I could eat some skinless chicken breasts rather than the carb-heavy fake meat stuff.
    I live alone and don’t really enjoy cooking, so I keep looking for shortcuts.

6. Ten Bears says:

G’ma used to say if all those people are right Heaven will be mighty lonely.

And Hell would be just like here.

(Can I go to Montana?)