Thank-You Dolly

In case you didn’t know (I certainly didn’t) Dolly Parton donated some significant amount of money to research a cure for Covid-19.

(She was not going to talk about it, but was then asked at the end.)

This entry was posted in Heroes. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Thank-You Dolly

1. Diane says:

Dolly Parton is a national treasure.

2. She is an enormously GOOD person, whom I have a hell of a lot of respect for.

Here’s a good article about her response to the “Year of the ‘Rona”: https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/country/9432581/dolly-parton-country-power-players-billboard-cover-story-interview-2020 A million bucks to COVID research.

• beckymaenot says:

I just love her. I love how she giggles at herself. Never takes herself too seriously. She is a first class human.

Beckymaenot –

Her line about being a dumb blonde is one of the best non-self deprecating lines ever.

“I’m not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I’m not dumb – and I’m not blonde either.”

3. Dennis Cole says:

I saw mention of this about a week ago, but the article clearly stated that she was NOT seeking ANY publicity or acknowledgement for this, and other efforts she’s made during natural disasters and such, so in respecting her wishes, I haven’t been posting about it anywhere.
    I’ve even heard her say she’s not sure if she’s taxed enough, but by golly, with all the money she has, she could never spend it all in several lifetimes, so she feels good about not only Paying it Back, but Paying it Forward, besides, as well.

Now, if she could just take Jeff Bezos out behind the woodshed for some judicious switchin, the world might tilt a bit more towards Income Equality, if he were to take that message to heart.

4. Could we please have more humans like this one?

5. purplehead says:

About a year ago, RadioLab had a wonderful series with Jad Abumrad interviewing Dolly Parton and poking around Dollywood for a couple months or so. Dolly Parton’s America. I don’t think there is a soul who doesn’t think she is saintly, except maybe her own self.

6. spotthedog says:

There are some genuinely good things that have come out of very red Republican-leaning state of Tennessee, Dolly is one of the best. No doubt that she has funded things that nobody ever knew the source of the money. She came from nothing but love, and knows how lucky she is. An inspiration as well as terrific talent.

7. donnah says:

Dolly had donated quite generously to help families who lost their homes in Gatlinburg a while back. And she’s donated a million books for kids, so it comes as no surprise that she has also made major contributions to fight Covid. She’s strong, she’s honest, and she’s a superlative entertainer. We’re lucky to have her!

8. It wasn’t publicized until yesterday, I think. Humility is also one of her honorable traits.

9. True Story: when in Nashville, we went to the Country Music Hall of fame and some other music-related museums and displays. I spent an INORDINATE amount of time on Dolly Parton exhibits, because DAMN.

10. I saw it was $ 1M Ameros, although it wouldn’t surprise me if it was more. She met the guy running the Moderna effort during another public health effort (Appalachia?) and when he called, her check cleared.

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s