‘What is, RIP, Alex Trebek?

This is is really sad news, it’s like part of my daily life since at least college just died. I’ve known several contestants over the years, not one of them ever said anything other than what a nice guy Alex was.

2020 is a bitch.

Mr. Trebek will be greatly missed.

This entry was posted in Dead Celebrities. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to ‘What is, RIP, Alex Trebek?

1. beckymaenot says:

I’ll take “2020 CAN SUCK IT” Alex, for $200. His show is a staple in our house. We schedule dinner so that we can be done in time to watch Jeopardy nearly every day. I started watching in HS because my friend’s mother thought he was the sexiest guy on tv. That was back before everyone knew that smart was the new sexy. Alex always seemed like a class act. We are going to miss him.

I read an article (GQ? Esquire?) a few years ago, interviewing the person who dressed him. It seems IRL he was a jeans and tee shirt guy, drove a truck. And because they film multiple episodes per day, they had to have a week’s worth of suits, shirts, ties, shoes ready for him. They let him pick out some things, but only from a pre-approved palate (here’s 5 ties, which do you want to wear).

Anyway, I will expand my motto: don’t wear anything James Bond or Alex Trebek wouldn’t wear.

• MDavis says:

Isaac Asimov documented an uptick in the sexiness of intelligence in an article for TV Guide. I remember reading it at the time, in 1967. That it was still considered a novel idea by the time of Jeopardy’s revival in 1984 is just sad to me, in early indication of the triumph of loud assholes over quiet admirers of braininess. That said, Trebek was a fine representative of the trend.
      BTW – here’s what Asimov wrote for TV guide (the pictures are, however, an anachronism) apparently because he was on a mission to write something for everyone in every category.

2. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Just when 2020 seemed like it was turning around…

He was a fine, as fellow Canadian Geddy Lee put it, companion unobtrusive.

3. E.A. Blair says:

When Jeopardy! was scheduled for revival in 1984, I was assigned to design the first home computer version of the show as a game. I had to work with some of the people at Merv Griffin Productions, and achieved a familiarity with the show exceeded only by staff and contestants. It’s the end of a 36-year era. I wonder who will step in to fill Mr. Trebeck’s shoes?

P.S.: Does anyone remember Art Fleming?

• Lsamsa says:

Yes, I absolutely remember Art Fleming. I used to watch Jeopardy religiously during his time hosting. I believe the show was on around 5pm weeknights.
      An iconic show and Alex became such a beloved icon…such a part in so very many of our everyday lives.

• laura says:

Who is Ken Jennings (answer in the form of a question).
      A gentleman to the end.

• ali redford says:

Yes. I enjoyed the show, and him, immensely when I was young. Adulthood and work tended to override “Jeopardy” by the time Mr. Trebek was the host.

• tucsonbarbara says:

Yes, I remember Mr. Fleming very well because I’m very old.

4. So many lining up at the exits.

5. retiredeng says:

During the 1990s my mother in law lived with us. Dinner time was Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy. It was Jeopardy that she was specially fond of watching. I would be trying to find the question but her joy was who won in the end because there could be so many upsets.